Time for Brakes

archerychamp3d

Established Member
Was time for an oil change so I took her to the dealer ship for the multipoint inspection and oil change. They mentioned my front brakes where worn out at 3mm left which put them in the red zone. I was wanting to updrade rotors while i was at it since i feel a little wobbling when I hit the wide peddle. Do you quys have any experience with stop tech? or which would you recomend. I never track the car. Just do spirited driving in a stretch of twisties near the house about a mile long about once a month. Which brakes and pads would you recomend? thanks in advance for the feedback.

2012 Mustang GT auto, non-brembo 75k mi on the car.

F.D.Sako

Established Member
I've used NAPA premium blank rotors with good results at the track, so should do you good on the street. Surfaces that don't come in contact with the pad are painted black, so they wont rust.

As for street performance pads, I would look into carbotech 1521's, but I have no personal experience with that compound, just a fan of carbotech stuff for the track.

archerychamp3d

Established Member
I've used NAPA premium blank rotors with good results at the track, so should do you good on the street. Surfaces that don't come in contact with the pad are painted black, so they wont rust.

As for street performance pads, I would look into carbotech 1521's, but I have no personal experience with that compound, just a fan of carbotech stuff for the track.

thanks for the input!
Whats the part number on the rotors? is it these 880497
?
where do you order your carbotech pads?

Last edited:

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
I have the ST-40 brake kit and LOVE them...stopping is quicker and the look is fantastic! They are the same brake kit that ROUSH uses on their NON track cars...they just rebrand them. The one-piece rotor kit.
I go them form HyperMotive Performance, great deal on them too!

Another good thing is that you can literally change the pads without removing the rotor.....whith the right wheels you might be alb ego change pads without even removing the wheels!! Im still running the pads that come with the kit but have not ran those pads on the track.
The pads in the kit are the :
StopTech Street Performance brake pads offer an unusual combination of good bite, low noise, and extremely wide temperature range, making them ideal as "dual use" street to medium track pads.

On my last car:
DSCN0590small_zps4cbe80fe.png

On my current car:
DSCN2157Edited_zpse54acf0e.jpg

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
I did the stoptech cryo slotted rotors (because the centric cryo solids were out of stock and I needed them immediately) and the new Hawk HP 5.0. They are great in the stock non brembo size to add quite a bit of initial bite... and some very spirited non-track use so far... good stopping with much less resistance to fade due to the higher temp pads.

full fluid change to dot 4 as well, I used ATE fluid and that also helped. The Hawks do need to be bedded, so if you go that route make sure you do a good bed on the initial install to get the pads and rotors working together.

chao5.0

Established Member
I believe all performance pads will need to be bedded, you can stick with blanks but I would do a good pad like the Carbotech 1521 and flush the fluid to a DOT 4, also you might want to consider a SS braided line upgrade, it will really stiffen up the pedal feel.

archerychamp3d

Established Member
Thanks Fellas I ordered the carbo tech 1521 today, come to find out they are located near me, in Charlotte. Still checking out some rotors prob going to NAPA blanks though.

noldevin

Established Member
I use Carbotech 1521 on the street and Carbotech XP8 on the track. The 1521s dust less than the factory brembo pads and still stop as well if not better. The tradeoff is they make a little bit of noise when stopping. That could be due to my slotted rotors though. It is not a harsh or annoying noise like a squeak, but more of a hum/vibration.
The XP8s stop amazingly well even when cold and didn't fade on the track. But they are high in dust and very LOUD and squeaky. I would not recommend XP8s for a street pad.

archerychamp3d

Established Member
got the 1521's in today. Already picked up the rotors from NAPA, ended up going with reactive one rotors because they were in a closer ware house and save me a lot on shipping.. Will give a first impression soon.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Frozen Rotors slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads = killer combo in my 4500-lb '07 Charger.
I can only imagine that they'd do even better in the much lighter Mustang.

Which is why I plan on doing that set-up next year when I'll finally be due for brakes.

www.frozenrotors.com

Last edited:

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Any other feedback on the frozen rotors? I'm going to be doing brakes here before too long and have been curious about these for a bit.

Just curious if they're worth it over the standard blank rotors.

Justin81

Established Member
I have the ST-40 brake kit and LOVE them...stopping is quicker and the look is fantastic! They are the same brake kit that ROUSH uses on their NON track cars...they just rebrand them. The one-piece rotor kit.
I go them form HyperMotive Performance, great deal on them too!

Another good thing is that you can literally change the pads without removing the rotor.....whith the right wheels you might be alb ego change pads without even removing the wheels!! Im still running the pads that come with the kit but have not ran those pads on the track.
The pads in the kit are the :
StopTech Street Performance brake pads offer an unusual combination of good bite, low noise, and extremely wide temperature range, making them ideal as "dual use" street to medium track pads.

On my last car:
DSCN0590small_zps4cbe80fe.png

On my current car:
DSCN2157Edited_zpse54acf0e.jpg

Those look awesome. What kind of money for a setup like that if you don't mind me asking? What is the make of that brake kit?

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Any other feedback on the frozen rotors? I'm going to be doing brakes here before too long and have been curious about these for a bit.

Just curious if they're worth it over the standard blank rotors.

On their site I think they have testimonials from Police departments that have been using their rotors, replacement intervals greatly increasing, more than double the mileage ...

On my Charger I was also getting a lot less surface rust on the rotors after rain, unlike the OEM rotors which would rust very quickly unless the car was driven right away

08mojo

Established Member
Those look awesome. What kind of money for a setup like that if you don't mind me asking? What is the make of that brake kit?

They are the StopTech ST-40 brakes (first line of his reply). They are not cheap.... It would be cheaper to go with a 15" 6-piston setup from a Shelby.

Users who are viewing this thread