Time for an Upgrade

kid rock

hello guys,:thumbsup:

I currently own a 98 GT and live in the good ole 51st state, i was thinking about

supercharging the car but decided the cost of the kit and the time it takes me to install it

and get it tuned etc etc i could just sel my car and buy a 99-02 cobra, so thats what im

gonna do, but this time im gonna import the car myself from the US so i have a few

questions:

1) after reading about the problems the 99 car had ( the tick and the recall for the exhaust

etc) should i stay clear of the 99 cars or are they ok after they have had the recall work done? and is the ticking they do a major problem or just a nuisance?

2) i would like to source the car from florida (so that it should be a rust free car and makes it easier and cheaper for shipping and i am going back thee next year on holiday) is the ford dealers my best bet? or am i better off looking in the private sector? anygoodwebsites or dealers in florida would be good if you know any?

3) how much will a 99 cost (after its had the recall work) compared to a 2002?

4) what should i look out for on theese cars? is there anything that always breaks? or areas that rust easily? and any top tips when i go and look at one?

Sorry for all the long questions and hopefully:pepper: i wil be joining the ranks of you SVT owners

:D

Simon

P.S sorry if this is in the :wf:

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
Simon-

Don't have time to answer all of the questions but here are a few.

1) 99 didn't have a tick but it did have the performance issue. Once ford completed the fix (extrude hone/acid dip intake, reflash ecu and new exhaust) the 99 cars ran fine. Mine runs great, if the fix has been done there won't be a problem. The 2001's had the tick, since I don't have one an 01 owner should talk about this.

2) Check the private party sales, you should get a better deal.

3) There were no 02 cobras in the US, 99/01. Not up on the maket now so some else should answer this.

4) I haven't had any problems with my car, pretty dependable. however it really isn't modded.

kid rock

thanks many stangs

1) yep my bad forgot that there was no 02!

2) 2001 for the tick got it!

3) once the fix has been done the car is ok, kool,

i dont really intend to modify mine, just KN filter, exhaust, rear gears, shifter and maybe throttlebody (even tho some people say they aint worth it)

anybody else with some input?? answer the rest?

Si

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
kid rock said:
thanks many stangs

1) yep my bad forgot that there was no 02!

2) 2001 for the tick got it!

3) once the fix has been done the car is ok, kool,

i dont really intend to modify mine, just KN filter, exhaust, rear gears, shifter and maybe throttlebody (even tho some people say they aint worth it)

anybody else with some input?? answer the rest?

Si

the tick was VERY rare on 01's...neither of mine have had it...the 01 also has a more agressive tune, better interior, "cobra" on the back bumper, dark headlights, and several other things i generally consider worth the little extra money it would cost over a 99...

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
Search the web and you will find the car your looking for.. forget limiting your search to dealerships.. i had to fly across 5 states to pick up my car.. I found it on ebay w/ 7k miles for $15k...

99cruisin

Established Member
All over the world, now in Marin County, CA
How will importing be cheaper then supercharging your current car? I thought it cost around $10k to import so about 5,000 pound. I'm not trying to stir you away from getting one from the states but if you want, I'm going to be in the Derby area in a couple weeks and could help with the installation process. As far as tuning goes you could have it emailed to you and load it onto a programmer. just an idea.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
i just happen to know of a KB supercharged 01 Cobra for sale in FL

kid rock

thanks for the response guys

the shipping is only £1000 or $1000 i cant remmeber lol

maybe i might have to save up and get the 01!

Derby? thats miles away lol but cheers for the offer, i have to sell mine before i can do anything! and i want to SEE the car when i buy it so will probably be doing it when im over in the sates next year

looking at importing a normal 99-04 GT to sell on for a profit whilst im at it!

99cruisin why u visiting out sunny island (sunny who am i trying to kid lol)

How much more am i looking at spenind on an 01 than a 99?

Si

99cruisin

Established Member
All over the world, now in Marin County, CA
Wow that's much cheaper then the quote I got. A guy I know wants to start importing 05+ GT's over there to make a profit.
You didn't put what town you're from so how could I have known?
I'll actually be in Etwall. I'm getting married in July but will be there June 7th. My fiancee is from there and I'll be living over there for about a year.

kid rock

importing for profit is also what im looking at.

well if you are on sangnet get yourself over to the europe/UK section and make yourself known, as most of us brits are on there, my msn is [email protected] if your on there,

you bringing your car with you??

Si

Users who are viewing this thread