Time for a new engine...

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
At my last OT session it looks like I dropped cylinder #2. Its at the shop and they are trying to figure out what happened and why.

Anyone have any suggestions for a new motor/build that is primarily street driven with 5-10 OT sessions a year?

Current setup:
03 Cobra
stock longblock with KB 2.2 at 17PSI
530/500 RWHP/TQ
Tuned by Rick at Amazon Tuning

I'd like to keep the KB and retain a similar power level if possible for a good, reliable engine.

My budget is pretty much whatever I decide to do with the car, so I'd say anywhere from a basic rebuild to 6-8 for a good motor build.

Any info on things to do/not to do with a new build?

Thanks for any responses!

wheelhopper

Established Member
Honestly, the stock Terminator short blocks are very stout. Did Rick know you were running OT when he tuned the car? I am pushing 17lbs with a ported eaton and am making more rwhp and torque than you with my street tune. My OT tune makes a little less hp but is a safer tune. My guess would be that your problem is either tune related, or maintenance related. How often did you change the oil? What type of oil did you use? Also how many quarts were you running on track? I always run 7 with my stock pan to prevent oil starvation around turns.

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
Rick knew that it would be used on road courses and tuned it as such.

Oil changed every 3k miles with Mobile1 full synthetic. I run a canton oil pan and is filled with 9 quarts. Oil was changed on tuesday and the levels were checked wednesday before tracking and mid afternoon.

Thanks for the response!

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Shit happens when youre running things hard, they break for no apparent reason. Shouldve it have? Nope, but it did.

Find a seasoned aluminum teksid or WAP block and use it for the rebuild, less weight upfront and still plenty stout for the 500-600+ HP level.

Those numbers are low for a KB shouldnt you be making 600+ rwhp with that blower and 17#? Without knowing any more about the car than what you posted up it sounds low.

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
17# should be about the 560-590 range, with a normal street tune. I had Rick tune it for open tracking, so he fattened up the fuel and lowered timing all through the RPM range. Hence the 530/500.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Personally, I would just do a basic rebuild and reuse what you can. If you don't have it already, get a cooling mod kit on there.

If you go all out, then go with an aluminum block to lighten the front end.

Users who are viewing this thread