Time for a clutch

Jaunty Joe

Established Member
Hello all! I just joined the forum, really really informative site, love the info I have seen. I credit this board with convincing me to keep my 97 cobra, as I see the potential they have. So, I just pulled the trigger on a $1550 job on my rear end, and I need a clutch! I have seen a number of clutch posts already, however I decided to start on myself for various reasons. I was considering a Spec 2.1 and Fidanza aluminum flywheel, however someone posted in an older thread that Spec clutches are known to grab very hard, so hard in fact, that they may break parts on a stock drivetrain. I have an almost bone stock 97 cobra, the only mods are 18" rims, staggered 285/35 rear tires and 245/40 front tires, and a k&n air filter. Is there any truth the the previous claim that a Spec 2.1 could grab so hard it could damage the stock drivetrain? My goal is a clutch that will support upwards of 400 torque, as I would like to use the same clutch when I can afford to start modding it in a year or two. It is my dd, but I do have experience driving a stage 3 6 puck clutch (can't remember brand) in a 93 rx7 as a daily driver for a little while, so if it is the new clutch is a little more stiff, that's fine by me. Suggestions or comments? Thanks all!

crazycarlo

Established Member
I have a spec 2+ and its a full face clutch so it doesnt grab overly hard. However for a bolt on car ALOT of ppl have the King Cobra and are really happy with it man. U dont want a "puck" style clutch as thats kinda overkill for a almost stock car.

Jaunty Joe

Established Member
Cool, thx for the information. I suppose I came off sounding like a jackass, didn't mean to, had a few adult beverages, couldn't compose my thoughts too well... sorry. I merely meant to say, I would like a stiffer clutch pedal feel :D Here is what I am thinking as of now, let me know if I am missing anything: King Cobra clutch kit, maximum motorsports quadrant and firewall adjuster combo, ford clutch cable, timken tob, ford pilot bearing, and resurfacing my stock flywheel. Let me know what you guys think about this set up, if I am missing anything, and if you think the pedal will be stiffer, or if maybe I should go with the frpp a302 kit instead of king cobra? Thanks in advance for the help guys ^^

96S/Cobra

Established Member
What you have listed sounds like a sturdy foundation that should work very well for you. I'm not too sure about the stiffness of the pedal, but don't worry too much about that. The King Cobra clutch seems to be a very popular/reliable clutch that a lot of people seem to be running. And as far as the Spec clutches (such as the stage 3, or any of the puck style ones) being tough on drivetrain parts, ie: transmissions.....THEY ARE. They hit hard and are known to cause lots of problems....ask me how I know lol.

95gts5oh

wat
Established Member
Your list looks good to me.

Yeah specs are hard on trannys. I put a stage 1 in my six banger a long time ago and I blew third gear lol.

Jaunty Joe

Established Member
Thanks guys! I did some computer work for one of the techs at work and he is gonna cut me a big ol' deal on the install, so I'm going to pull the trigger tonight when I get home and get this clutch fun on order ^^ Thanks again for the feedback, as you can probably (easily) tell im a tad "new" :rolling:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
^Yup, that's what I have in my car and I like it. From what I've read it grabs softer than a spec clutch but still has plenty of holding power.

The list you have looks great though and I'm sure it'll meet your expectations!

Jaunty Joe

Established Member
Thanks again guys! After doing more research, and asking the Summit techline, it turns out that the a302 and c302 are very similar kits, only difference being the pp, so I went with the cheaper a302 kit :D Ordered about 1:30 pst monday, arrived today midday!!! Incredible shipping! Waiting on my adjuster and quadrant from American Muscle, and then I will get it installed, hopefully this weekend. Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread