tightening 36mm axle nut with impact ok?

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
i tend to get the tink/pop alot on the right rear. im trying to get the most milage out of the hub before repacing it. usualy tighteing it helps for awhile. is it ok to use an impact to tighten this nut? i dont really want to bounce up and down on a breaker bar(240lb/ft)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
i tend to get the tink/pop alot on the right rear. im trying to get the most milage out of the hub before repacing it. usualy tighteing it helps for awhile. is it ok to use an impact to tighten this nut? i dont really want to bounce up and down on a breaker bar(240lb/ft)

Don't tighten that with an impact wrench! :dw:

If you're having problems with the nut coming loose your best bet would be to buy a new nut from Ford. They are really meant to be one time use nuts. Throwing a little removable blue Loctite on there couldn't hurt. Torque to 250 ft lbs with a torque wrench.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
Don't tighten that with an impact wrench! :dw:

If you're having problems with the nut coming loose your best bet would be to buy a new nut from Ford. They are really meant to be one time use nuts. Throwing a little removable blue Loctite on there couldn't hurt. Torque to 250 ft lbs with a torque wrench.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

thanks for that info. i guess i'll have to eat a few extra cheeese burgers and hang on that wrench.:burnout:

Charles236

Established Member
It doesn't take that much effort to get 240-250 ft/lbs on the 36mm nut. I use a regular SnapOn dial type torque wrench and have no problem getting it torqued to 250 ft/lbs. But it is a good idea to replace the nut, or at least hit it with some LockTite (I use the red, high strength threadlocker).

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
A good torque wrenchwill get the job done. You can make it easier by putting a pipe over the wrench for increased lever arm.

Users who are viewing this thread