Ticking & TOB(?)

Awt2

Established Member
Hello,

I just recently have encountered a ticking sound coming from my engine bay. Its more noticeable with the hood up, but can be heard from inside the car.

It only happens when these conditions are met

1. 1500RPM or more
-Noise gets faster as RPM rises
2. I am on the gas.

The part where it only happens when I am on the gas, leads me to believe it is a tick coming from the injectors. Due to them not opening, because I am not demanding any fuel? Does this sound about right?

I'm thinking about runnings some injector cleaner through it, and seeing if the sound goes away.

My other problem is a squeal when I am coming off the clutch. It happens no matter what gear I am in, but, only happens when I start moving. Not on every shift. It will squeal 1 or 2 times, and it sounds like my TOB. The sound is coming from right under me.

How hard is it to change my TOB? I have a RAM HDX clutch waiting to go in, but I'm waiting on funds to order a flywheel too. (being a broke kid sucks :p)

96S/Cobra

Established Member
To rule out the injectors, just let your car idle and one by one unplug each injector. If the noise you are hearing goes away then you have narrowed it down to one specific injector. If not, plug that injector back in, unplug the next one, etc. But I'm not wondering if it's possibly another issure, say with something in the heads/timing chains/etc.

As far as the tob, the squealing sure sounds like it's on it's way out. Get the car up in the air on jack stands, making sure it's safe to be under. Unhook the drive shaft, mid pipe, remove shifter from inside the car, remove the starter (this could be tricky with one of the bolts), bell housing and cross member bolts, and that's about it. Get a buddy to lend you a hand, and it shouldn't be that big of a deal really. Just take your time.

And unless your flywheel is bad, why not just have your stock one resurfaced and reuse it? I have the factory flywheel in my car with no problems what so ever.

CzchMex

Established Member
I would say it has to do with the timing. Injector noise usually is most apparent when idling. They don't get loud enough to hear while driving.

Mine ticks too. Annoying. I think it is a tensioner that isn't working properly causing the chain to be too loose. Which in turn causes other things to bang around leading to noise.

Awt2

Established Member
I would say it has to do with the timing. Injector noise usually is most apparent when idling. They don't get loud enough to hear while driving.

Mine ticks too. Annoying. I think it is a tensioner that isn't working properly causing the chain to be too loose. Which in turn causes other things to bang around leading to noise.

Would the tick get faster and faster based on Rpm though? I've heard that our engines develop a tick with the lash adjusters or something of the sort. Is this true?

I'm going to do a bit of testing, and see if I can find the tick. It really bothers me.

As for the TOB, I might just resurface it, but it is nearing 100k miles, and I don't know if that's still safe to resurface

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
A reputable machine shop will not resurface it if the cracks are to deep. Check your ring gear to make sure it is ok and then you should be ok with the stock flywheel.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Do you have an quadrant and adjuster? It is possible, either your TOB is on its way out OR you just don't have enough preload on it (i.e. the TOB is spinning slower than the PP causing it to squeak.) because the cable has stretched. TOB replacement means dropping the tranny and 10 seconds to swap them out. Recommend a Ford HD unit!

Good Luck
Alex

Awt2

Established Member
Do you have an quadrant and adjuster? It is possible, either your TOB is on its way out OR you just don't have enough preload on it (i.e. the TOB is spinning slower than the PP causing it to squeak.) because the cable has stretched. TOB replacement means dropping the tranny and 10 seconds to swap them out. Recommend a Ford HD unit!

Good Luck
Alex

No, I do not have a quadrant/adjuster. I was thinking about replacing that when I do my clutch. Ill be using the Ford TOB.

I think I might just take a day and get my clutch done. I was going to wait till after winter, because I didn't want to have to break in the clutch during the winter. But, I don't want to risk anything, and i think I might get some friends together and do it.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
No, I do not have a quadrant/adjuster. I was thinking about replacing that when I do my clutch. Ill be using the Ford TOB.

I think I might just take a day and get my clutch done. I was going to wait till after winter, because I didn't want to have to break in the clutch during the winter. But, I don't want to risk anything, and i think I might get some friends together and do it.

I would throw a quadrant and adjuster to that parts list with the Ford TOB. Also, you take the fork cover off with the car running and someone lightly rests their foot on the clutch it will start to spin faster and stop making noise if that is your problem. Look for fork vibrations and such. (Disclaimer: Be safe under a raised car especially running)
Take your time with the install and inspect possible worn out TOB retainer, Pivot ball and things like that. Also put some good fluid in. You do not want to cut corners and have to do it again. Take a look at your PP fingers while the tranny is out to make sure they are even. Again Good Luck!

Friends are cars are :beer:
Alex

Last edited:

Awt2

Established Member
Well, This thread means nothing now. My engine went POP today, anyone want a roller Cobra with a bad 32v in it?

Awt2

Established Member
Crap that sucks! How many miles on the motor? What happened?

91.5k on the engine. I was at about 3500rpm in 2nd gear, and when I shifted to 3rd, I heard a loud popping like noise. about 5 seconds afterwards, the car is dead. I got it into a turn-around, but it wouldn't start at all. We towed it home, with the help of our friends SVT Focus. The car either bent a rod, or has a spun bearing. Either way, I don't have the money for a rebuild.

But, since I have no money to fix it, looks like the car is getting sold. Either that, Or im going to have to find a STUPID cheap engine.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Sorry to hear that man. Depending on how much money and time you have, you can replace the engine with that of a Lincoln Mark VIII relatively cheap (when it comes to replacements anyway). It's not exactly a Cobra motor, but really close. They can be found all over junkyards if that helps.

1989Gt.

Banned
Well you could swap over your cobra parts and make it exactly the same then re sell what you can off of the cobra block you should be able to sell a few parts.

Awt2

Established Member
Sorry to hear that man. Depending on how much money and time you have, you can replace the engine with that of a Lincoln Mark VIII relatively cheap (when it comes to replacements anyway). It's not exactly a Cobra motor, but really close. They can be found all over junkyards if that helps.

Yeah, Its either that, or a 5.4L that we have at school.

T.Bone

Established Member
We will rebuild the motor or replaced it, might take a little bit since it happened at a bad time of the year. But you will be back on the road with it soon.

But it still won't be faster then dad's terminator. :)

Awt2

Established Member
We will rebuild the motor or replaced it, might take a little bit since it happened at a bad time of the year. But you will be back on the road with it soon.

But it still won't be faster then dad's terminator. :)

It'll be faster then daddy's terminator one day....

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
Are you positive it is a bearing or rod? It doesn't sound like the way it usually happens. It should still start with a bad bearing and don't think the rods can bend only break and I don't see why a rod would go from what you described, I would check it out closely before moving ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread