Ticking near cyl 8.. wtf? wrong side??

TargeT

Established Member
I ran some 90 octane with a chip tuned for 92, detonated & blew 3 plugs up (all on the right half of the engine) on the way to the track..

switched the plugs out for new ones, plut 4 gallons of 104 into a 1/4 tank of 90 oct & ran down the track a few times (got real crappy times out of it)

after my last run i noticed a slight tick (which is pretty damn loud outside the car)

i stuck a scope on & it sounds like its coming from #8 cyl,,

performance isnt suffering at all, stull runs real smooth, but the tick fades in and out, though its ususaly present & I cant hear it after about 30mph (road noise i asume)

but it's so damn embarasing to pull up to a stoplight with that tick..

anyone have any ideas? rocker arm?

PhillyCobra

Established Member
#8 is rear cylinder on driver side. Is that what you mean? If so you probably have the dreaded "tick" caused by localized overheating around the poorly cooled valve guides on #8. If you detonated enough to "blow out" some plugs you might very well have overheated around the valves, and #8 is most susceptible. Should at least check compression and/or leakdown and have someone listen to your car before pushing it again.

IMHO, if you had major detonation with 90 octane and a 92 octane tune, then your 92 octane tune was way too aggressive for safety's sake, or you have some other problem causing detonation.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Detonation doesn't equal blowing 3 plugs out of the head. That's pretty severe.

Users who are viewing this thread