Ticking/knock sounds started yes. Help please

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Hello, I Cross posted this into my 1999 cobra forum thread as it’s a 99 cobra but I haven’t gotten any replies so I thought maybe you guys could help me out. I attach the video. So yesterday I was driving my car and I got on it on the highway and it was perfectly fine and then as I finally got down to a street light I started hearing some kind of ticking or knocking type sound coming out of my engine semi quiet. I know our cars are notorious for having this kind of sound start but if you listen to the video what do you guys think it could be? There’s so many different things I could be I’m gonna bring it in today to the shop but want your guys opinions. thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

mvk13

oooohhhhh Shiny!
Established Member
Do you have a harbor freight stethoscope? Listen back by the last 2 cylinders on the driver's side. There are coolant flow issues back there in the head that can cause head gasket, valve/seat issues.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Do you have a harbor freight stethoscope? Listen back by the last 2 cylinders on the driver's side. There are coolant flow issues back there in the head that can cause head gasket, valve/seat issues.

Is that what you think it might be by the sounds of it? I dropped it off at my mechanic whose really good and he’ll let me know what he diagnoses the issue as but if it’s what you’re saying it is what is the typical fix on the parts and labor wise roughly pricewise?

mvk13

oooohhhhh Shiny!
Established Member
It depends. It can entail as little as a head gasket, or a full rebuild if the deck or head is warped. Might be less expensive to find a used Mach or Aviator motor and swap. Are you mechanically inclined? It is time consuming, but not that hard to swap a motor.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
It depends. It can entail as little as a head gasket, or a full rebuild if the deck or head is warped. Might be less expensive to find a used Mach or Aviator motor and swap. Are you mechanically inclined? It is time consuming, but not that hard to swap a motor.

Ya if it has anything to do with engine swap or rebuild that wouldn’t be for me LOL. At that point I’ll probably just end up selling my car as is. Fongers crossed it’s not that bad but we shall see what happens. I’m preparing for the worst regardless

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Ya if it has anything to do with engine swap or rebuild that wouldn’t be for me LOL. At that point I’ll probably just end up selling my car as is. Fongers crossed it’s not that bad but we shall see what happens. I’m preparing for the worst regardless

After doing some further research I think and I’m praying that I blew a spark plug out because that’s what it exactly sounds like. I’ve blown one out before but fingers crossed that is what it was

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
I hadn't thought about that. Good luck and I'll say a prayer for you too

Well I just talk to my mechanic and he thinks and I’m hoping that it’s a lifter on the driver side for sure he says. He’s gonna rip it open right now and let me know. In saying that if I do have to replace a lifter or all of them on the driver side what replacement part or parts do you recommend for me to buy these from and cost?

mvk13

oooohhhhh Shiny!
Established Member
I use OEM Ford or Melling. Make sure have backs his work if he is wrong. Valve/seat in an overheated head sounds like a lifter at first. If he replaces the lifters and the noise is still there, bad diag and he shouldn't charge you. Good Luck

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
I use OEM Ford or Melling. Make sure have backs his work if he is wrong. Valve/seat in an overheated head sounds like a lifter at first. If he replaces the lifters and the noise is still there, bad diag and he shouldn't charge you. Good Luck

Well to update 3 weeks later he changed all the driver side lifters it wasn’t that n then opened it up again and removed followers n did a leak down test. No issues found.
Couldn’t quite figure it out and then he did a compression test on each cylinder and the right side all read the same and driver side he noticed cylinder 8 closest to driver
Side read 10% lower.
So he thinks it’s inside that cylinder.
He didn’t charge me anything which was nice of him.

I drive it and it literally drives fine but the noise is there.
I don’t take it passed 3k at this time as I don’t want to damage anything further.

So now he recommends a second opinion or a engine shop to open it up.

Here is another clip of sound and it did get a lil quieter after he worked on it

What do I do at this point I am beyond frustrated. Looking for any advice or anybody in the metro Detroit area as I am in Rochester myself for anybody that can help or recommend

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Maybe a bore scope would give some insight to the problem. The timing of the noise, sounds like valve related.

Well after a second opinion I am now told that a shop in Troy, Michigan feels that they are very confident it’s a wrist pin that went bad in cylinder eight and he recommends a complete engine rebuild.
So just curious what your guys thoughts are on this forum.
If that part truly went bad is the next general step to do an engine rebuild or is there any alternative?

mvk13

oooohhhhh Shiny!
Established Member
Get an Aviator engine and swap it in. Only diff is forged crank, but if you get an 05 it will have the better heads. Then you can build your take out on your timetable.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Get an Aviator engine and swap it in. Only diff is forged crank, but if you get an 05 it will have the better heads. Then you can build your take out on your timetable.

Can you please explain a little bit about the aviator engine and maybe even a link for me to check it out if it’s not too much trouble. I tried typing that in online on Google and I found some things but I’m not too familiar with this kind of stuff but I’m willing to learn and do my research

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
The Lincoln aviator came with the dohc 4.6, essentially the same as an auto Mach 1. Honestly, the head design is a tier up from the 99v Cobra heads. To swap the motor into your car, you'd essentially need to strip it down to the longblock, and put all of your Cobra specific parts on it. I'm not 100% sure what is different, but I know for sure you'll need a 2v flywheel, due to the aviator having a 6 bolt crank, and all the Cobras having 8 bolt cranks.

Users who are viewing this thread