"Tickers" Info

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Well I picked up my car today from the dealer after head replacement. NO TICK AT ALL! Its kinda crazy not hearing it. I couldn't be happier.

I have a print out from the service tech with some info you guys might find interesting. Word for word, this is what the part of it said:

Gasket leaking oil pressure at chain tensioner. Causing cam shaft wear. Performed SSM 16354. Checked oil pressure at idle 38psi. 2200rpm 70psi. Removed brake booster, removed valve cover, remove each cam ladder and inspect. Found some scoring at intake and exhaust front ladders, Called hotline and was told if noise there to put a left side cylinder on car. Put engine back together and road test to get warm. Noise still present. Ordered left cylinder head and rescheduled tolater date. Repair attempt 10/08/03 Removed trans assembly, removed engine assembly. Install engine on stand, removed and replaced left side cylinder head. During disassembly found the cause of oil starvation to head. Timing chain tensioner gasket failed and was leaking oil internally. Replaced chain tensioner. Cylinder head, all related gaskets and bolt. (Along with Bassani headers :rolling: ) Reinstall engine, trans, and fill all fluids. Ok at this time. Replace cylinder head 11/6/2003 Dual Overhead Cam Cobra Engine Super Charged.

I had the bassani mid-lengths put on while it was in. At first I was a little disappointed with them. I didn't loose a lot it just ran real rough. Idle was rough, starts were kinda jerky, and cruising around it jerked a bit. So I increased idle at neutral and raised rev limiter just for the heck of it. It only idled a little better.

The original plan was to dyno with headers before and after predator performance tune. Just to see what difference the predator made over stock.

I had the predator in the car tonight when I was riding around getting fed up with driveability(only had it back a couple hours). I pulled over and loaded the performance tune.

All I can say is holy sheep sh!t! Whatever I lost I gained back and then some. Its a completely different car with a damn good sound. Idles better than before (just above 750) and runs just as smooth. I know I picked up some and will get dyno in a couple weeks. If you have off-road x-pipe or headers, I definitely say try out a predator.

-Patrick

Last edited:

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Yeah it seems to be a little worse than I thought.

Predator Performance Tune is awesome. I want to try a pulley with Pulley Tune but all the problems I have been hearing with pinging and bad A/F curves I am just gonna wait.

I have a little more power to play with now so my craving has come down a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread