Tickers getting new heads, in here...

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
So those of you with tickers getting new heads, did you consider holding out for a new motor instead? Pros and cons for each. Get a new motor and your numbers don't match. You might also get one low on power, but no one has to monkey around with tearing the motor apart.

Since I'm making really good power, I'm just going with the head replacement. I also want to keep the matching numbers. My dealer said he'd do which ever I prefer.

Second question. If you are just replacing the head, are they going to pull the motor, or replace it with the motor in the car? What do the manuals say - anyone know? (Ok, that was a third question. I asked my tech that if he decides it would be easier to pull the motor, to check my clutch.)

Cobra'03

Established Member
Has anyone established that the tick is anything but an annoyance? There are some heavily modded cars being run very hard, and how many head failures?

Replacing an engine and "hoping for the best" is a dealer cop-out, and drives up the cost for everyone - I would be very interested if it solves your tick. Wish you well.

Has Ford actually ok'd this engine replacement?

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Cobra'03 - as claimed, the source of the tick is a bad valve guide. It may be too early to see any failures, however. I have not heard of any as of yet.

As far as the new engine, I didn't opt for that. I'm just going to have the head replaced. As you said, I didn't want to just roll the dice by swapping out the entire engine. My dealer did not suggest swapping the engine - I brought it up with them. They said they would, if that's what I wanted. They were just trying to keep me happy. The reason I brought it up with them, is because I've read on this forum that at least one dealer did NOT want to replace the head - they wanted to R&R the entire engine. Mine was not looking to do that. If that person reads this, maybe he can answer your questions. (Word has it, however, that if the customer complains enough, they'll get a new engine.)

Eric03Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
Second question. If you are just replacing the head, are they going to pull the motor, or replace it with the motor in the car? What do the manuals say - anyone know? (Ok, that was a third question. I asked my tech that if he decides it would be easier to pull the motor, to check my clutch.)

Yes they would have to pull the motor out to change the head.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
fakesnake - did your replacement engine have the "new" heads? When did you have it replaced?

And so if they drop the engine, I assume they pull it from below, correct?

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
Has anyone established that the tick is anything but an annoyance? There are some heavily modded cars being run very hard, and how many head failures?

A concern would be over the long term, when it's conveniently out of warranty.

fakesnake.com

Established Member
New engine is only 2 months old and has blue stripe on driver side head. They dropped it from below by removing the K member and suspension.

Eric03Cobra

Established Member
Eric - was the source of your info out of a shop manual? Thanks.

Yea, I looked at the DVD Shop manual I have and that's what it looks like. There is a whole section dedicated to "In-Vehicle" repair and the heads weren't there. Found them under Engine DISASSEMBLY :(

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
caveman - those are my thoughts, exactly. That's why I'm going to go ahead with the head replacement.

fakesnake and eric - thanks for the info. I think this explains why some dealers wanted to just R&R the entire engine. If they have to remove it anyways, to replace the head, it'd definitely be easiest to just put in the entire new engine (at a tremendous cost to Ford, however.)

That said, I'm definitely going to have them check my clutch, as I still have that damn vibration from time to time. It is no where near as bad as when it was new, but I can still feel it. Since they are tearing the suspension apart, now might be a good time to put in the MM CC plates, as well.

Thanks guys.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I would like to get an opinion from some of you guys. I bought my cobra about 6 weeks ago. At about mile 850 I had it in for some small stuff plus the TICK, they said they couldnt hear it at that time. I said oh well...I knew it was an issue I will just wait for the TSB. I was near bonestock at the time. Its now at 2200 miles and the TICK is there. Since the problem has been documented at that mileage "850" and I take it in with the mods in my sig. Do you think I should have problems since it was documented previously?? Not too mention its a factory defect. Yes my car is a 2nd run as well. Blue stripe on drivers head.

I plan on pulling the idler, CAI and putting the blower cover back on to make it look somewhat stock.

Last edited:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Cobra'03 - as claimed, the source of the tick is a bad valve guide. It may be too early to see any failures, however. I have not heard of any as of yet.

As far as the new engine, I didn't opt for that. I'm just going to have the head replaced. As you said, I didn't want to just roll the dice by swapping out the entire engine. My dealer did not suggest swapping the engine - I brought it up with them. They said they would, if that's what I wanted. They were just trying to keep me happy. The reason I brought it up with them, is because I've read on this forum that at least one dealer did NOT want to replace the head - they wanted to R&R the entire engine. Mine was not looking to do that. If that person reads this, maybe he can answer your questions. (Word has it, however, that if the customer complains enough, they'll get a new engine.)

Thx for the info - now my question is:

is it the dealer's (or Ford's) opinion that the ticks in all "ticky" Cobras is a bad valve guide, or just your particular situation.

I feel for ya - I would hate to have to have my new car have to have the engine pulled for a head, but them things is monstrous. Make sure they get it buttoned up nice and tight. Checj early, and often - look for leaks, chafing hoses, wires, etc.

BocaCobra

Established Member
Ok my opinion on the TICK - I had my 97 Cobra from 12K miles until 60K miles and had the "TICK" My 03 Cobra has the "TICK" I was told by a very good source that its the 4.6 Modular motor and its fine - Who knows if he is right or wrong but I honestly dont worry about it unless I start hearing of failure do to it.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Cobra'03 - I don't think it is Ford's position that all tickers are due to this. The TSB very clearly specifies cars built prior to 11/1/02, and very specific symptoms. My particular case meets all these criteria. (Built 5/22/02, very loud tick noticeable under the left valve cover and in the left converter as heard through a stethoscope). I don't know what their position is for cars that were built later, or have other symptoms though. I can't say that I'm thrilled to have to get this done, of course, but I don't want to risk a failure down the road (after the warranty runs out.) The same tech that did the retorque will be changing the head, and I had absolutely no problem with his other work. I will be checking the things you mentioned, however! I'm also concerned about the k-member not going back together just so and causing some new problems. I also worry about my paint getting all gouged up! (Although again, that was not a problem the other times he has worked on my car.) Thanks for the advice, though. I will keep an eye on all those things.

Last edited:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
BocaCobra - no offense, but I don't understand why SVT would say there is a problem with a valve guide and issue a TSB if there isn't any problem with the head.

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
Just some FYI. There is nothing that links any specific serial number engine to any specific chassis serial number. They build the engines in big batches and then they sit until they make some Cobra's and they just install whatever engine is handy. The only downside to getting another motor would be if you get a rebuild and then - I understand - it doesn't have the SVT 'Built By' signature plate.

Users who are viewing this thread