tick tick

408bluedog

Established Member
Just bought an 03 cobra with 22k miles. been driving it about a week and fluids are good everything seems in order exept today it started ticking. what is the cause and what is the best way to go about fixing?

Last edited:

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
are you positive it's the tickand not just valve train noise? these cars are known to have loud valve noise

408bluedog

Established Member
positive. this is deffinitley a new tick seems to be comming from driver side and I hear it better from the wheel rather than standing under the hood.

408bluedog

Established Member
Yes i've heard about it but never really looked into it. Sounds like its the damaged valve guide from what I am reading... damn what a bummer on a new buy.

408bluedog

Established Member
only cam i have is on my cell phone which wouldnt do justice. cant hear it from inside of the car or over the engine. only by the driver side front wheel is where i hear it and its constant and it was never there untill today.

stang2004

Established Member
only cam i have is on my cell phone which wouldnt do justice. cant hear it from inside of the car or over the engine. only by the driver side front wheel is where i hear it and its constant and it was never there untill today.

Sounds like my cobra.

From what I have read, there is no question of IF you have the tick. You know you have it or you don't. And the tick is quite loud, where it sounds like engine damage.

I've listened to both sides of my engine and it sounds very similar on either side. Plus the previous owner had it taken to Ford because of it and the paranoia of the head tick. And they stated it was normal valve train noise.

Have it checked out but I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Plus no catastrophic engine failure has been documented because of the head tick. :shrug:

BlownShelby10

Established Member
prolly just a exhaust leak...the tick is quite loud...look to see if u have the revised heads which i heard there would be a blue covering by the valve covers on the drivers side...is this true about the headS?

SSSSIKH

I ♥ BOOST
Established Member
im local and in SJ also...i wouldnt mind coming by and checking it out and let you know what i think is going on...

...shoot me a PM if your interested

Zeekmann

Established Member
It would be really lowd, check out this vid

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIcad3YAu_E&feature=PlayList&p=CCE5A3334CCC8EB8&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=10"]YouTube - My '04 Cobra ticking[/ame]

Jefe

Established Member
I have a ticking under the car and you cant hear it at all from the engine bay. Sounds nothing like the tick video above. Here are my threads with videos, does it sound like mine? I cant figure it out either...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/driveline-216/597468-ticking-transmission.html
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/exhaust-215/597159-exhaust-manifold-leak.html

Something a couple people here have stated is that their head tick started out very faint and eventually became full blown ticking from the heads. Anyone comment further because 2 statements above say the opposite of that

Last edited:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I have a ticking under the car and you cant hear it at all from the engine bay. Sounds nothing like the tick video above. Here are my threads with videos, does it sound like mine? I cant figure it out either...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/driveline-216/597468-ticking-transmission.html
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/exhaust-215/597159-exhaust-manifold-leak.html

Something a couple people here have stated is that their head tick started out very faint and eventually became full blown ticking from the heads. Anyone comment further because 2 statements above say the opposite of that

Mine would start ticking when the car warmed up. Over time the ticking got louder.

Jefe

Established Member
Mine would start ticking when the car warmed up. Over time the ticking got louder.
Did you have the ticking when you bought the warranty and they covered it? When you first noticed the ticking could you hear it from the engine bay? I have put a stethoscope on my heads and cant hear ticking from them. Its only under the car

metaman

Established Member
Go to sears and buy an automotive stethoscope. Put it on different things under the hood with the engine running. If you get the loudest sound when you put it on the back part of the valve cover, then you know it is comming from under there. We are just blowing smoke up your ass if we try and tell you what that sound is without proper diagnositics.

Link to Sears Automotive Stethoscope

Jefe

Established Member
Ya Ive been using a medical steth....Works good but it did melt a little bit :rolling: Ill go pick one of those up. Under the car it did seem like the ticking was coming from the back part of the motor. If it were the heads would I hear excessive noise coming from the manifolds? Because I did...

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Did you have the ticking when you bought the warranty and they covered it? When you first noticed the ticking could you hear it from the engine bay? I have put a stethoscope on my heads and cant hear ticking from them. Its only under the car

My first set of heads were covered under the factory warranty. I bought an extended Ford warranty and that covered the second set of heads. I have mods sitting at my house waitng to go on but I am afraid of getting the tick again and them not covering it because of the extensive mods. My car had JLT RAI, Bassani o/r X, Flowmaster catback when the warranty work was done. If you have a smaller pulley the warranty will be void.

I couldn't hear the ticking with my head under the hood. I could hear it clear as day under the car behind the driverside tire.

I bought dual aeroforce gauges to try and find out why my car was eating heads. I found that the factory fan settings were a little too high for my taste so I bought a Predator and adjusted them.. Everyone should buy these gauges. It tells you everything the car is doing.

My car will tick when the oil level is low. My car likes 6.5 - 7 quarts of oil. If I only put 6 quarts I can hear ticking. Check your oil level.

Does your ticking get louder when the car is warmed up?

Users who are viewing this thread