Tick...Tick....Tick

Steef21

Established Member
Hey guys,
My 98 Cobra has had this ticking noise for awhile now. Thought it was just an exhaust leak cause it sounded like it was coming from the exhaust but turns out it was just amplifying through it. Had a stethoscope on it today and it sounds like it is coming from right under the valve cover on drivers side at the rear. The engine has about 17,000 miles on it. Any ideas? Also, the ticking is there all the time cold or warm and doesnt go away, and it matches the RPM's. Any input would be appreciated........

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
Sounds like a bent valve or something in the drivetrain. Thats odd with only 17 thou on it. I don't know how hard it is to pull the valve cover off mod motors but thats how I'd find out. Good luck.

FindemorGrindem

Established Member
My cobra makes a strange ticking too. Its not so loud you think there's a problem and your average joe can't tell but anyone who knows engines and has attention to detail can tell its there. Its been there since I test drove it and I've ran the crap outta the car and it runs hard and I don't have any problems with it. I had a 2v 4.6 in a thunderbird that sounded the same. Same deal, bought the car and the noise was there. Unlike the cobra (which I bought with 35k on it) I bought the tbird with 90k and drove it till 120k. Ran the hell outta that car as well. Neither used any oil and the sound never got any quieter or louder but I could and still can tell its there. Both motors ran stong and hard like there were no problems....so I don't know if its common or not?

Users who are viewing this thread