Tick/rattle at 1700 rpm and up.

Mach1Gator

Established Member
I have been a member of the forum for a while. I browse occasionally, but haven't really ever posted.

I have a 2003 Mach 1 5sp that has been babied most of it's life. It is one owner and it has 59000 miles. 5-20 synthetic every 5000 miles. The other day I started to get a ticking/rattle sound that I initially thought was coming from the top end and was probably a lash adjuster. It has gotten a bit louder and it sounds louder under the car. I have pretty much come to terms with the fact that I have a spun bearing or bad rod, but I don't really know why it happened.

Thoughts? Best way to fix this?

Last edited:

Mach1Gator

Established Member
I had the car checked out at Ford today. The technicians also suspect a bottom end issue. Going to a performance and machine shop tomorrow to see about rebuild. The Ford parts department did not have any remanufactured Mach 1 engines, Ford racing does not sell the 4.6 aluminator any longer. I am also going to go look at a 2008 Bullitt that is for sale nearby.

The only good thing that came out of going to Ford today was my test drive of a 2016 GT PP with Borla cat back. The thing seriously screams!

4a7191a

Established Member
Hopefully it's the timing chain tensioners and guides like it was on mine. Good excuse for a cam swap :)

boltonmach1

Established Member
Make sure its not a simple exhaust leak issue. That would be first guess. Exhaust leaks tend to be loud at certain rpm ranges you mention.

Users who are viewing this thread