Tick is driving me insane!!!!

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I have a 2012 5.0 with 17500 miles. I've changed the oil about 6-7 times already and never got this. Yesterday I went with amsoil dominator 10w-30. I've been running regular royal purple oil 5w-20 the first four oil changes, tried the 5w30 oil the 5th oil change and after reading the oil recommendations on the greasy spoon section chose this for E85 motors which is what I'm running. This tick has come up out of nowhere right after oil change on the drivers side. I hear it the worst in 4th gear at about 3k rpm. It's really loud as I can hear with windows up or down. I thought the tick only occurred sometimes after 1st oil change not 6 oil changes later?? Any recommendations?! I finally got the car running how I want it an now it starts making this stupid noise.

Code Vision

Established Member
Ticking here too. Started after the second oil change. Not quite so loud that I can hear it with the windows up, but loud like I hear it bounce off other cars, walls, and the road if I'm going slow enough. Worse at cold start but its always there, some days louder than others. Is this the same as what you describe?

I thought about asking the dealer to put the ford additive in, but when I took it up there they said they couldn't hear anything. Crazy.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
A TSB came out to swap out the ac compressor belt for a drive belt tensioner setup. There's a few tsb's for it but I think that's the one thats been helping most

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
A TSB came out to swap out the ac compressor belt for a drive belt tensioner setup. There's a few tsb's for it but I think that's the one thats been helping most

yup have this looked at asap

01bluesnake

Established Member
You check your oil level? May of been doing it for while lightly and you noticed it because you changed the oil. Some people don't pay attention or focus on noises till work is done on their car then they focus on any little noise they hear expecting something wrong. Take it in, figure out what is wrong, then decide if you need to freak out.

Also make sure you didn't leave any under body covers lose and are knocking around, 4th gear at 3k is moving pretty well, if it was a motor problem it should do it at 3k in any gear or even just reving the engine.

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I got the tick too when I changed to 10w-30 oil. Annoying as hell. It's the ignitor tick.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I had the tick and installed a procharger with the race bypass valve. I cant hear the tick anymore and the car runs pretty well.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
Change back to the oil you were using previously and see if it continues.

You check your oil level? May of been doing it for while lightly and you noticed it because you changed the oil. Some people don't pay attention or focus on noises till work is done on their car then they focus on any little noise they hear expecting something wrong. Take it in, figure out what is wrong, then decide if you need to freak out.

Also make sure you didn't leave any under body covers lose and are knocking around, 4th gear at 3k is moving pretty well, if it was a motor problem it should do it at 3k in any gear or even just reving the engine.

It definitely made no noises!!!! I'm super anal about noises. I just put in a t56 magnum so I've been trying to hear noises like crazy and it was driving smooth as hell with no noises. Next oil change ill try going back to royal purple see if it helps. But I just spent $80 on this oil it's staying in there for at least 3000 miles.

Funny5.0

Established Member
Every Coyote motor Ive heard ticks and I have heard my share. Between my son and I, we've owned 5 2011+ 5.0's which have all ticked. I wouldn't worry unless it was excessively loud.

NickSezz

Established Member
Do you hear the noise between 3-4k rpms the most? Is this under load or cruising?

Funny5.0

Established Member
Do you hear the noise between 3-4k rpms the most? Is this under load or cruising?

Under load ticking isn't normal, I thought you were talking about idle.
My son's auto had a subtle noise under load between 2-4k rpms though. The dealer didn't seem concerned but took note if it.

Users who are viewing this thread