ticing noise on passanger side

opie99

Established Member
alright, i have an 01 with 85,000 and just the usual bolt ons, im getting a ticing noise on the passanger side of the truck and i cant really figure out where it is coming from. it sounds just like an exhaust leak. i put my truck up on a lift to take a look and couldnt find one anywhere on the manifold or where it couples the to the midpipe. so i called over one of the machanics come and look at it and he couldnt find anything either. he got out his stethoscope to take a listen. he came up with that the noise was comin from the number 2 cylinder. he told me that there could be a hairline crack in the manifold gasket, but i dont see any black spots around it and i couldnt feel any air movement. his other suggestion was that its the valve inside the head making noise(which i really hope its not:cryying:). so my plan of action is going to put new manifold gaskets and if its still makin noise im goin to try and put lucas in it to see if that quites it down to make sure its in the head. the noise has been slowly getting louder it seems and its starting to drive me nuts. i was wanting to know if anybody has had a similar problem like this, or has heard of something like this. i just want to get as much info as i can before i just go riping my truck apart. thanks kyle

S P E E D

Established Member
Mine does the same thing when the motor is cold. I thought it was a leak aswell but I took a better look and it's definitely coming from the valvetrain on the passenger bank. Winter is here anyday now up here so when I pull the blower off to send down to Steig I'm gonna pull the heads off and have a look.

MJG

Established Member
^^^^ if happening when engine's cold then fades away when warmed up, you most likely suffer from piston slap. My stock motor does the same thing. Look it up.

S P E E D

Established Member
^^^^ if happening when engine's cold then fades away when warmed up, you most likely suffer from piston slap. My stock motor does the same thing. Look it up.

It's not a knock though....it sounds like a valvetrain tick.

MJG

Established Member
Same thing I thought, looked all over, even thought of a loose exhaust hanger but turned out to be piston slap. Loss of oil fiarly rapidly is a sign too. Between changes i go through about 2 quarts

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
The first thing you should do is check your spark plugs to be sure they are snug, sounds like a tick then BOOM it is all the way out for you.............

opie99

Established Member
i hear it more through the wheel well than the top of the motor. to me it seems that it gets louder as it warms up. im going to try running 10w30 in it instead of 5w20 see if that helps

s-crewed

this sounds like what happen to me i bought a 01 L and i really started to hear a tickin noise so i took it to a few diffrent shops (fastlane and houston perfornance and one if my friends techs) my friends guy said it was a valve guide and i was losing comprssion in cyd 4 but the other 2 said it was a deff rod bearing. so we pulled the motor and took it to LME they confermed it was the rod bering and one of my pistons was damaged. i hope thats not your case but let me know if you have any questions. good luck

2002 harley f15

Established Member
that is exactly what mine sounded like when I had a loose plug the bad part if it is not corrected promptly it will blow the plug out (unless you have the PI heads that have the increased thread count)

opie99

Established Member
this sounds like what happen to me i bought a 01 L and i really started to hear a tickin noise so i took it to a few diffrent shops (fastlane and houston perfornance and one if my friends techs) my friends guy said it was a valve guide and i was losing comprssion in cyd 4 but the other 2 said it was a deff rod bearing. so we pulled the motor and took it to LME they confermed it was the rod bering and one of my pistons was damaged. i hope thats not your case but let me know if you have any questions. good luck
yeah me too i dont have that kind of money right now, think i would sell it instead of trying to fix it, theres like 6 different Ls for sale within 5 miles of my house
that is exactly what mine sounded like when I had a loose plug the bad part if it is not corrected promptly it will blow the plug out (unless you have the PI heads that have the increased thread count)

i have new plugs so maybe i will try throwing them in

it wont run funny if i put the tr6s in and dont have the pulley on yet will it?

thorntonSVT

Established Member
Hmm.. I have a ticking noise on my driver side. I kinda just thought it was an exhaust leak. It starts to go away as the truck warms up. When I rev it up and im listening on top of the motor the clicks go along with the engine so they speed up as RPM's raise. Hmm...

opie99

Established Member
i know the injectors make alot of noise also so its kinda hard to tell from the top where it may be coming from.

HIVOLTG

Go SKERS!
Established Member
the video has bad quality... but after every rev you can hear the ticking on mine. not sure if this is like what the OP's problem is

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXVaFeJ1mhA"]YouTube- F150 first fire[/ame]

opie99

Established Member
i really cant hear it in the vid, but yea its there when i rev it up also, it gets a lil louder on the revs but nothing like something is trying to escape from the block or nothin. im goin to try and pull that plug out tomorrow and see what it looks like. i wish i could take a sound clip of it so you guys can see what i mean.

Users who are viewing this thread