*thunk* when shifting...

Tai99

Established Member
Hi all,

I get a pretty solid thunk eminating (possibly?) from the rear whenever I depress the clutch - especially noticable when putting it in first. I just bought the car used, and was wondering if this was normal?

Also, I hate the stock shifter, does the aftermarket ones change the positioning of the shifter knob? As in, make it slightly closer to the driver? Or does it just make the distance the handle has to move during shifts less?

Thanks,
Tai

dmark101

dmark101
Established Member
you know, i've had the same type of 'thunk' when putting the car into gear from either a dead start upon warmup, or while driving. can't figure out why except that the clutch may not be fully engaging.

the other tranny issue i have is with the atf that's used in the case. takes forever to circulate and leaves my shifting feeling very notchy. i do plan on replacing it with redline mtl very shortly to eliminate this.

paul louderback

Established Member
Me too

From a dead stop with while shifting into 1st i can also hear the thump, and another strange noise. Shifting is notchy also until warmed up.

Guess just a characteristic of the Tremec transmission ?

Seems its should be silky smooth like most manuals I have had....?

dmark101

dmark101
Established Member
i thought it would be smooth too, but it's really annoying with the notchiness. i mean, i have a short throw shifter in my other car and it's not as notchy as the cobra is. :(

i'm going to swap out the atf in the gearbox and put in some redline mtl and see if that helps out a bit. as far as the thunk goes, we may be stuck with it.

KGcobra

Established Member
Originally posted by dmark101
you know, i've had the same type of 'thunk' when putting the car into gear from either a dead start upon warmup, or while driving. can't figure out why except that the clutch may not be fully engaging.

the other tranny issue i have is with the atf that's used in the case. takes forever to circulate and leaves my shifting feeling very notchy. i do plan on replacing it with redline mtl very shortly to eliminate this.

I have that thunk also, I don;t think it is the clutch not fully engaging but I do think it may be something with the clutch. My reasoning for this is because I can get it sometimes by putting the clutch down fast while at a stop in neutral. That makes me think it is something more near the front but echoing back.
Whatever it is I'll be going to ford in a week or so for some other things and that is on my list...I'm guessing I will get the "it's normal" response.

dpaul

Established Member
My '01 is in the shop as I type for a "clunk" problem which became serious.

I had the "clunk" start to become more noticable with time and miles...Its got about 8000 on it now. It started to grind when trying to put the car into first as the car was rolling.

The SVT Dealer ordered the parts before they ever opened up the tranny. I asked if there was a TSB on this, and they replied "...Not Yet...". They have seen the problem before... it has to do with the shift fork.

I'll let you know more details when I get my Snake back in a few days!

sssSnake 01

Established Member
I discussed the thunk with the tech at my dealership and he said that the release bearings don't completely release and as a result there is still some spin. So when you put it into first it grabs and the result is an audible "thunk". He says it is nothing to worry about.

I may be getting a new tranny on Tuesday because of a high pitched cricket like chirping that my 01 Cobra makes with the clutch engaged.

I already had the release bearing replaced and that did not fix it. It is going back in on Tuesday. If they cannot find the problem they are going to see about getting me a new gearbox.

Last edited:

DamageInc

Banned
sssSnake 01 , let me know what happens with your car, I have the same exact sound with my car, sounds like crickets chirping and I also periodically get a metal to metal squealing sound when pushing in the clutch pedal. I'm taking my car in tomorrow for this and other issues I have stated on another post. Fill me in on what you get done and what is said. You can tell me in here or shoot me an email. Thanks

MileHiCobra

Established Member
Seems we have a discrepency here. On the one hand we have a dealership ordering parts before even opening it up, implying a known problem. On the other we have another tech saying it's not big deal and not to worry about it. Being that I have the same clunk I'm very interested to know what parts were ordered and what the final diagnosis is. I don't mind the notchiness but the clunk is definitely worrying me.

dpaul

Established Member
MileHiCobra:

I agree with your confusion... I'll probably get my Snake back tomorrow! One of the fellas on my engineering staff was a SVT certified Ford mechanic... I'll get his thoughts on what the dealer says about my "solution" to the "thunk" problem!

MAquino

Re the "clunking" sound: A previous poster in
either this or another SVT-club forum made
this comment ...

M.A.

* * * COPY FOLLOWS * * *

Two words................... planetary gear.
It free spins at its' own rate, and as such, will
occasionally "clunk" upon engagement,
especially at lower RPMs. Relatively common
trait in the Tremecs, especially the T3560's.
(Gotta remember, these are HEAVY-DUTY
transmissions, designed for smooth, high RPM
shifts- bet ya can't make it "clunk" at 4000+ RPM !!)
I've also been told by more than one source
(reliable) that indeed, they ALL do it. And yep, so
does my '01..........but it still screams like a scalded
Banshee in heat, so I'll get over it !

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
In regard to changing the shifter position....the B&M Ripper can be mounted in a rearward position from stock, or in the stock location.

Tai99

Established Member
Thanks guys, excellent information. I'm feeling much more comfortable now. :) Is the tri-ax also mountable more towards the rear?

dpaul

Established Member
MileHiCobra:

Nope... when they took it apart, they found more parts which need to be replaced. They said that they would let me see all the parts before they send them back... I'll let ya know!

dave58

seldom impressed
Established Member
for dpaul:
That, my friend, the price you pay,
tryin' to keep up with a Mineral Gray...... :chicken:
rotflmao
"Just when you thought it was safe to go out in the dark............."

guesswho ??:D

Ram Rod

Got Truck?
Established Member
Just got my cobra back because of the "Clunk" and also a terrible whinning sound at idle, so they replaced the flywheel and clutch and everything is A-O-K. You have to let the Ford dealership know who's boss. I don't know about you guys but I didn't buy a 30,000 dollar vehicle to be "parden my french" messed with. Then they fixed it and even offered me lunch while I waited. What a good experiance.:D :D :D :D

KGcobra

Established Member
Just wondering - what dealership fixed it for you? ..maybe I'll check them out if things start getting bad on mine.

....And who said there's no such thing as a free lunch?

Users who are viewing this thread