Thunk sound when put in gear

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
With the car standing still, when I put the transmission into 1st gear I get a thunk sound. Also when I shift into 2nd, I get the thunk sound also. In both instances the clutch is pushed in. If I'm extremely easy on the shift it doesn't happen. Does this seem like a transmission issue or an IRS issue? When I replaced the rear brakes, I saw bits of rubber missing from the upper control arms. The bushings around the IRS looked ok. From my research, the bushings around the IRS suck. What are peoples experience with this. I bought the car without ever seeing it run because the engine needed rebuilding. Now, I'm sorting out all the other issues.

SilverNotch

Established Member
I had the same thing but irs should be when your moving. Replacing everything with ftbr bushing was the best thing I vê done to the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Some people fix it with diff bushings and larger bolts for the IRS mounts.

My car has done it since new and I just always chalked it up to slop in the drivetrain. It's a stick car so there's no converter to take the shock. Mine will clunk pretty bad if you're in 5th and let and then jump back on the gas hard. I've just learned to drive around it. Can't really hear it over my exhaust either.

Users who are viewing this thread