Thunk Noise

strickensix

Whistlin'
Established Member
Ive noticed that there is a thunk noise coming from beneath the car on the drivers side. I can sort of feel it hitting something to. It happens whenever I start of in 1st gear quickly so the car jerks forward, or going over a series of bumps. Today I looked underneath and tried moving some things like the exhaust, radiator, sway bar, etc. Nothing. Any ideas on what it may be?

Could my engine or tranny mounts be going bad?

Last edited:

coolguy10786

Established Member
Could be motor mounts or ball joints. Just replaced my ball joints which fixed part of it, but i know i have a worn motor mount, but im not going back into the headers.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Coolguy, how difficult was it to swap balljoints? I just ordered Steeda X2s.

Strickensix, sounds like your tranny mount to me.

96cobra8u

mystic slobra
Established Member
mine was doing the same thing as yours. I replaced the tranny mount but it didn't do crap for it. The sound is louder and you can feel it alot more now.

So basically if I were you I would check for a motor mount if the ball joints doen't fix it. that way you take out the next hardest posibility and save the easy trans mount for last.

blkstangman88

Established Member
go through and check all ur bushings first, shake, wiggle and make sure there all there, mine did this sort of think over bumps, come to find out my swaybar bushing was gone.

coolguy10786

Established Member
badass98svt said:
Coolguy, how difficult was it to swap balljoints? I just ordered Steeda X2s.
Well if you have the tools, its not bad. You can rent one, which is what i did, but the tool that was in there didn't work for shit. I was able to get one out with it, but thats it. I just took the control arms off and took them to a machine shop, had them use a hydraulic press to take them out and in. Then i put a could of tig welds on the underside to keep it from slipping out. One had a little play. It actually may have been easier to get new control arms with ball joints pre-pressed in. You can do it with one of the kits, but didn't work out so good for me. Just so you know you can get the control arms off without taking the steering rack off. Its fun to say the least, but they will come off. You just have to persuade them. Also if you do it that way, it'll help if you take a peanut grinder and grind some of the bolt off. Makes it go in like butter.

strickensix

Whistlin'
Established Member
Yeah it seems the thunk noise has stopped. I dont hear it any more or feel it. Ive been shifting differently since yesterday and adjusted the clutch and now its not there...

Users who are viewing this thread