Thunderbird Turbo Coupe

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
Im thinking about buying a used turbo coupe for a daily driver.
im tired of my some what cramped VW GLI and want to get out of the car payment.

i have been looking around and have found that a low mile example can be had for less than 6k for an extremely clean car.

it has all the things im looking for in a DD

- spacious comfortable interior
- nice ride quality
- turbocharged 4cyl
- 30 mpg
- and somewhat decent looks, if done right

i remember my dad bought one new in 88 and i thought it was the coolest thing. he said he loved it and wish he never sold it.

any thoughts on this car ? pros/cons?

any info would help. thanks guys

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Turbocoupes get 30 mpg?

I'm not too entirely sure about that, but I'm not totally discounting it either.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Turbocoupes get 30 mpg?

I'm not too entirely sure about that, but I'm not totally discounting it either.

If I'm not mistaken, that engine made close to 30 mpg in the 3200 lb SVO. The Turbo Coupe was closer to 3800 lbs and about 25 mpg. I could be wrong tho???

Regardless, a pretty cool car and one of my favorites as a teenager!!!

Later...Dave

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
If I'm not mistaken, that engine made close to 30 mpg in the 3200 lb SVO. The Turbo Coupe was closer to 3800 lbs and about 25 mpg. I could be wrong tho???

Later...Dave

another site said 24-30 highway

still not to shabby for that size car

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator

Later...Dave
Actually, SVOs are 29XX, and 30XXlbs.
My brother's TC is what made me get the SVO. And yes, they can get high 2Xmpg on the highway. Semi-easy to get decent power out of them as well.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Im thinking about buying a used turbo coupe for a daily driver.
im tired of my some what cramped VW GLI and want to get out of the car payment.

i have been looking around and have found that a low mile example can be had for less than 6k for an extremely clean car.

it has all the things im looking for in a DD

- spacious comfortable interior
- nice ride quality
- turbocharged 4cyl
- 30 mpg
- and somewhat decent looks, if done right

i remember my dad bought one new in 88 and i thought it was the coolest thing. he said he loved it and wish he never sold it.

any thoughts on this car ? pros/cons?

any info would help. thanks guys

MOVED:wf::wf::bash:

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
pics of gli?

no recent ones

i shaved all the badges off the deck lid.

filled notch in hood and badgeless grill ( the saggy grill :fm: )

& tint.

other than that its stock with a cracked windshield , spider webbed cracked paint on driverside front bumper from a hit and run. 2nd in same spot.

and i have the steelies w/ snow tires on at the moment. RC's are off for winter.

i would take pics but its not much to look at right now. lol

baisicly what it looks like with RC's on. mine is BMP as well. i also have the vw center caps not the bbs center. and no rain guard on window.
GLI2.jpg

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Actually, SVOs are 29XX, and 30XXlbs.
My brother's TC is what made me get the SVO. And yes, they can get high 2Xmpg on the highway. Semi-easy to get decent power out of them as well.

You are right, my 87 notch 5.0 was about 3,000 lbs...an SVO would be even less with the 4 banger...my bad!!!

How much does the TC weigh...does 3,800 lbs sound right???

:shrug:

Later...Dave

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
Left alone they make great DD's...

a few too things and you blow them up...

Who feeds you this bullshit?

The motors are stout. The limit is about 400 on the stock rods/rod bolts. They are very easy and cheap to modify. I'd recommend and 87/88. Those models have the upgraded VAM, ECU, injectors, transmission, as well as PRC and the Regular/Premium fuel switch. On the regular setting it'll run about 10psi and on premium it'll run 15psi +/- a few #. Not to mention that it has a Trac-Loc 8.8, which IIRC, the Mustang didn't even have.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I did.

Mine made a great DD but I have this issue..nothing I own stays stock and I blew it up when the Fuel pump started to go out and ran the car lean on a run with 20ish psi.

I loved my 88. It was a great car. I keep my eye out for another one all the time

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
I did.

Mine made a great DD but I have this issue..nothing I own stays stock and I blew it up when the Fuel pump started to go out and ran the car lean on a run with 20ish psi.

I loved my 88. It was a great car. I keep my eye out for another one all the time

Sorry to derail the thread--but if you would've done your reading, you wouldn't have had that problem. It's common knowledge in the turbo 2.3 world that 20psi on the stock fuel system is when it starts leaning out. What'd you do, pop a headgasket or burn a piston?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I know..I replaced the fuel pump with a 255 lph because I read that.

It failed and ran me lean. I burnt a piston.

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
Who feeds you this bullshit?

The motors are stout. The limit is about 400 on the stock rods/rod bolts. They are very easy and cheap to modify. I'd recommend and 87/88. Those models have the upgraded VAM, ECU, injectors, transmission, as well as PRC and the Regular/Premium fuel switch. On the regular setting it'll run about 10psi and on premium it'll run 15psi +/- a few #. Not to mention that it has a Trac-Loc 8.8, which IIRC, the Mustang didn't even have.

wow good info, im keeping my eye out for a clean low mile 88, i will consider a 87 now. im not looking to make it a hot rod, just a nice DD with a lil extra passing power. yeah right i always say that... lol

Users who are viewing this thread