thump????

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
are you referring the the thump/bump noise when you put the car in first gear to begin taking off?

is so it is just slack in the drivetrain ... if you have a t56 and an irs you are going to hear this noise ... the only way to avoid it is by pushing in the clutch, wait about 2 full seconds, then put the car into 1st gear ... you should not hear it anymore

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
if you are talking about a thumping noise when you are driving/moving ... this would be a noise referred to as the "cobra clunk"

google that and you will find lots of info ... but dont panic ... its harmless and common

rbrand9935

Established Member
03Snake04
Question: How would you rid yourself of the first gear clunking noise as thats what I'm experiencing with my Cobra. I was told I need to be careful launching the car from a dead stop. I should "slip" the clutch as opposed to dumping. I was told the Maximum Motorsport IRS kit would clear up the problem in addition to everything else. Problem is. The labor would be close to 20 hrs. I appreciate anything you could add.

Thanks
Ray .

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
if there is a way to rid the thump noise when putting into 1st gear i am unaware of it .. from what ive read if you have a t56 and an irs you will experience this from time to time ... the only way to be certain to not hear it is by pushing in the clutch and pausing before shifting into 1st ... i read it has something to do with giving the input shaft enough time to stop spinning?:shrug:

whatever the reason is it seems to do the trick as i hate when ppl ask "whats that noise?"

as for launching the car.. someone else would have to chime in there .. im not experienced in the drag racing world or the irs

Users who are viewing this thread