thump racing tensioner install

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I recently purchased a used thump racing tensioner from @jdmengineering. I went to install it today and I noticed the two dimples that go into the timing cover appeared to be off center from the factor tensioner. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way or it's broken. Anyone no for sure?
47218772362_41354f5cb8_c.jpg

einehund

Established Member
Mine was off as well. Not sure if that much, but off enough that i had to remove the idler pulley directly above it to install it.

Also, PSA: the timing cover is aluminum. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. Ask me how i know.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine was off as well. Not sure if that much, but off enough that i had to remove the idler pulley directly above it to install it.

Also, PSA: the timing cover is aluminum. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. Ask me how i know.
Hmmm, alright I'll give it try again and see if I messed up.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
If you send it to them for repair make sure you keep the tracking number. Mine was lost in the mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
If you send it to them for repair make sure you keep the tracking number. Mine was lost in the mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I bought it used from JDM engineering so if it's messed up I want my money back and I'll buy a brand new one. I'm stupid for buying a used one and I'm a little more pissed they would sell messed up parts.

RBB

Established Member
Those dowels are significantly off from where they should be. You'd have to rotate that tensioner so that the pulley end would be pointing almost straight down to fit it in the cover. I'm running an ARS tensioner, I've installed a VMP tensioner on a buddy's car and the dowels are in exactly the same spot as OEM on those. I think you've got a problem there, no way that's going to work.

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Those dowels are significantly off from where they should be. You'd have to rotate that tensioner so that the pulley end would be sticking almost straight up or down to fit it in the cover. I'm running an ARS tensioner, I've installed a VMP tensioner on a buddy's car and the dowels are in exactly the same spot as OEM on those. I think you've got a problem there, no way that's going to work.
Yeah I'm sending that tensioner back and getting one from VMP.

RBB

Established Member
Yeah I'm sending that tensioner back and getting one from VMP.
Check out the ARS tensioners as well. Having seen both, I think it's a higher quality piece, stronger spring, etc. You'll pay a little more, but I think it's worth it. What I really like about the ARS tensioner is that you use a 1/2" extension to rotate it instead of a 3/8". It makes it surprisingly easier to release the tension on the belt.

sleek98

Established Member
I had an issue with the VMP 3/8 square stripping out using a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter. Its a nice paperweight now. It still worked but was always nerve racking trying to get the belt off. Was always wondering if this time was the time I was going to have to cut the belt off.

I went back to stock when I swapped to the gen 3, if I have an issue with the stock one slipping then I will try a ARS next time due to the 1/2" square vs the 3/8. My guess is I wont have an issue with the 2.6-2.8" pullies.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I went with a VMP unit which claimed to increase belt tension by 20% over the stock piece. I was getting a little belt chirp with my Whipple 3.0" pulley between aggressive shifts, and this cured my issue. When I made my decision, Thump appeared to be experiencing quality issues, and I didn't want excess belt tension (potentially) wearing out my remaining OEM pulley bearings pre-maturely.

VMP Tensioner.jpg

jenkins_1120

Established Member
I had an issue with the VMP 3/8 square stripping out using a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter. Its a nice paperweight now. It still worked but was always nerve racking trying to get the belt off. Was always wondering if this time was the time I was going to have to cut the belt off.

I went back to stock when I swapped to the gen 3, if I have an issue with the stock one slipping then I will try a ARS next time due to the 1/2" square vs the 3/8. My guess is I wont have an issue with the 2.6-2.8" pullies.

Mine did the same thing. I swear if I have to buy another tensioner for this car, I’ll go turbo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I recently purchased a used thump racing tensioner from @jdmengineering. I went to install it today and I noticed the two dimples that go into the timing cover appeared to be off center from the factor tensioner. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way or it's broken. Anyone no for sure?
View attachment 1555441

That looks like the housing rotated. Thump's own site shows the dimples matching the OE clocking.

GT500-4.jpg

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I went with a VMP unit which claimed to increase belt tension by 20% over the stock piece. I was getting a little belt chirp with my Whipple 3.0" pulley between aggressive shifts, and this cured my issue. When I made my decision, Thump appeared to be experiencing quality issues, and I didn't want excess belt tension (potentially) wearing out my remaining OEM pulley bearings pre-maturely.

View attachment 1555751
Are you happy overall with the VMP unit? I'm still debating between the VMP tensioner or the ARS tensioner.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you happy overall with the VMP unit? I'm still debating between the VMP tensioner or the ARS tensioner.

I am. The extra tension it provided over the stock unit was obvious during installation. It is working well on my car, and I haven't messed with it since installation. I did have to add one flat washer to the OEM bolt I reused when installing the new VMP 75mm idler on the tensioner assembly. If you reference the picture in my previous post, you'll see that the OEM tensioner has a hole through the center of the 3/8" square, and the VMP unit does not. I could feel the bolt bottom out before the idler was tight. I'm pretty sure a 1/16" flat washer provided the additional clearance needed for the bolt to torque properly.

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member

View attachment 1555751
I thought VMP discontinued there Belt Tensioner for GT500?

RBB

Established Member
I am. The extra tension it provided over the stock unit was obvious during installation. It is working well on my car, and I haven't messed with it since installation. I did have to add one flat washer to the OEM bolt I reused when installing the new VMP 75mm idler on the tensioner assembly. If you reference the picture in my previous post, you'll see that the OEM tensioner has a hole through the center of the 3/8" square, and the VMP unit does not. I could feel the bolt bottom out before the idler was tight. I'm pretty sure a 1/16" flat washer provided the additional clearance needed for the bolt to torque properly.
We also had to add a washer to my buddy’s. Bolt won’t tighten down without one. I would assume this is an issue across the board. They should include a washer and save everyone an extra trip to the hardware store.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I thought VMP discontinued there Belt Tensioner for GT500?

Not sure... I had not heard that. I purchased and installed mine over a year ago. I do not see it currently listed on their newly updated website. If interested, I'd call sales and support to see if it is still available.

Users who are viewing this thread