"Thud" noise when shifting

terminator15

Established Member
I've only had my cobra for a few weeks and just got home from school so these past days i've had the opportunity to drive it and I noticed a "thud" noise when letting the clutch up after putting it into gear..it doesn't happen everytime but happens often just wondering if its from me (not used to the clutch yet) or a common thing with the cobras.

ShaneHayes

Established Member
if this is the "clunk" noise i am thinking...then it's normal. i too was concerned about the clunk when putting it into gear. it's actually normal, and has no effect on the performance. research "clunk" and you will get 500,000 threads on this. it's very common in the Mustang world.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
No big deal, after you drive it a while your style of shifting and clutch action will pretty much eliminate it. I haven't noticed it in 60k miles on mine.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Drivetrain slop. Normal unfortunately. I always found it very annoying.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
I was getting a thump also. I swapped my rear diff bushings out for poly ones and the thump went away. The stock rubber bushings flatten out after time which causes the diff to move when shifting, in turn causing a thump.

terminator15

Established Member
thanks guys, I thought this was a common problem...its pretty annoying none the less. How much would it run me to replace the diff. bushings? ( If that fixes the problem)

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
I was getting a thump also. I swapped my rear diff bushings out for poly ones and the thump went away. The stock rubber bushings flatten out after time which causes the diff to move when shifting, in turn causing a thump.

+1. Replace those crappy stock bushings for sure. Also, swap the stock 12mm bolts in the subframe to 14mm. Do a search on here and you will find a WEALTH of info on this subject.......

vipergts281

Established Member
I've only had my cobra for a few weeks and just got home from school so these past days i've had the opportunity to drive it and I noticed a "thud" noise when letting the clutch up after putting it into gear..it doesn't happen everytime but happens often just wondering if its from me (not used to the clutch yet) or a common thing with the cobras.

When I am letting the clutch pedal out, I actually let it up about 20%, hold it for a second, then ease out the remaining 80%. If I don't, I get a thump in every gear. It's habit by now for me. But when I let a friend drive the car, I have to teach them that trick or it drives me nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread