Throwout bearing?

CobraLov3r

Established Member
I went to the track a few weekends back and ended up snapping my driver side rear axle. I made 3 successful passes launching around 2500k rpms. On my 4th pass it gave out. I was unable to drive it any further and had it towed. Approximately 5k miles ago I had a twin disc rxt installed along with a brand new flywheel, 26 spline input shaft, ford racing TOB and sleeve all professional clean work without any problems since the track. I installed the new driver side axle tonight after a while of finding a used one locally, took her for a drive and i could hear an unexpected grinding noise/rattling coming from my MGW shifter. Also, i noticed after going back home that the rear end definitely needs an alignment since i could see new markings from the tire rubbing on the passenger side rear tire. I ran through each gear including reverse giving a little gas each gear with no problem. As i let off the accelerator, downshifted, and depressed the clutch letting it roll on stricly momentum for about 5 seconds, a grinding/crackling noise got a lot worse than when the car was in any gear. When i disengaged the clutch i could still feel vibration coming from the shifter handle that I've never experienced but the grinding/crackling was not nearly as bad but noticeable. I don't have a video but can post one tomorrow. No leaks under the car whatsoever and the driveshaft is in tact.

I've read TOB symptoms and it appears that usually the TOB makes more noise, usually a whistle when the clutch is not engaged, and less noise when the clutch is engaged. My symptoms are backwards of the ones i just mentioned. I definitely hear rough grinding and my shifter handle is vibrating pretty good at all times. I'm also afraid to say that this may be a little deeper into the trans. than i would like it to be on such short notice.

Thanks for any help/advice before i get it looked at by a well known cobra mechanic that does all of my work flawlessly. Looks like mustang week departure is on hold tomorrow night.. :(

Last edited:

jeason15

Established Member
A bad TOB/input shaft bearing will make noise with the clutch engaged (foot off pedal), and be quiet when it's disengaged (foot on pedal).

stradt03

Established Member
What did you torque that axle but to? They require some insane torque value (250ft/lbs??) or they can chew up your rear hub

Users who are viewing this thread