Throwout bearing question

10splaya22

Established Member
I was driving today and all of the sudden I heard a screeching that quickly got louder. I pulled over and I originally thought it was a idler bearing or tensioner bearing. So I let the car cool off and started it about 20 min later and the sound didn't get any quieter but it did sound like it was coming from the back of the engine area.

As soon as the tow truck driver got there he immediately said it sounds like your TOB. Thats when it all made sense since it sounded like it was coming from the back of the engine. I didn't think about that at first since I've never heard of a TOB going out that quickly especially when I didn't have any symptoms of it going out.

My question is, I'm planning on just replacing the TOB with a FRPP one. Should I go with the TOB retainer sleeve as well? I've read it would be better to just get it all done at once when the TOB is being changed. The clutch grabs great and I have no problems with that so I was going to just leave that. Anything else that commonly goes bad?

Thanks

EDIT: I have the stock T-56 with the 26 spline input shaft and a RAM HD clutch.

10splaya22

Established Member
Thanks for the help. I have one more quick question. Since I'm not replacing the clutch the bellhousing doesn't have to be removed from the engine correct? I only need to take the transmission out then remove the front cover where I can replace the TOB retaining sleeve. Next I can replace the cover, check the endplay of the input shaft, and replace the TOB and shift fork.

08mojo

Established Member
Thanks for the help. I have one more quick question. Since I'm not replacing the clutch the bellhousing doesn't have to be removed from the engine correct? I only need to take the transmission out then remove the front cover where I can replace the TOB retaining sleeve. Next I can replace the cover, check the endplay of the input shaft, and replace the TOB and shift fork.

That is correct. :beer:

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
How many miles on clutch? Replace it all IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread