Throwout Bearing Issues

JohnsMyName

Established Member
Im still on original TOB at 70k. I've been meening to replace for a while now. It has been chirping for a couple of years, only about 15k miles though. What happens if it goes completely? Will I do anything detrimental to the transmission or just lose my ability to shift? Any insight would be great, thanks guys.

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
I had one grenade on me, and it made a hellish noise whenever the car was running. Nothing bad happened, but I considered myself lucky. I wouldn't want pieces of the TOB flying around next to the clutch assembly at high RPM.

My current TOB has always chirped. Going on three years now.

Im still on original TOB at 70k. I've been meening to replace for a while now. It has been chirping for a couple of years, only about 15k miles though. What happens if it goes completely? Will I do anything detrimental to the transmission or just lose my ability to shift? Any insight would be great, thanks guys.

It can split in haalf as it has happened to another member on here recently. Or it can cause your shift fork to be completely ruined like it just did to me. And of course it can lead to accelerated wear to your clutch as it did to me.

BTW, 70k out of the OEM tob is not bad at all. Mine started chirping at about 49k. About 1400 miles later I have a wrecked shift fork, worn stock clutch and binding clutch cable. Don't delay replacement.

Last edited:

JohnsMyName

Established Member
I was told the labor would be alot and I should replace everything (clutch etc...) anyways if I am going to get the TOB done. Does that sound right?

My current TOB has always chirped. Going on three years now.

I don't think the replaced TOB should chirp, it may have been installed wrong. I think Ciotti has a recent thread that discusses the correct adjustment to correct this.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498540 Look for a post on the 1st page by a guy named Helomech74 he mentions it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread