Throwing some pesky codes, Help please :)

96Cobracomander

Established Member
P0174
P0136
P0156

96' Cobra

BBK CAI
O/R X pipe
MIL Eliminators
Flowmaster catback
gears blah blah blah but the first 3 mods are the only ones that can possibly throw codes

so if any one here knows a bit about this electrical sensor non sense any help would be greatly appreciated

96Cobracomander

Established Member
You're lean and your MIL eliminators aren't working. Time for a custom tune. Mine didn't work either!

well let me pose another question the lean code form what i just read up on could be air that is not being measured by the mass air flow unit making it to the engine or a dirty mass air flow

and those 2 codes have to do with either BAD 02s or the wiring on the harness being no good OR an exhaust leak.

So i now have a few questions

How do i clean the Mass Air, how do i check for air leaking in after the meter?

How big does an exhaust leak have to be to throw off the rear 02s? i do have an exhaust leak on the car but im assuming with the MILs plugged in it wouldnt matter becuase the MILs are keeping the signal of the rear 02s from going crazy regardless

How often has any ever encountered a 02 sensor harness that has either been burned or cut or anything to disrupt the electrical signal and throw a code even with MILs in there because id think even with MILs if the signal is not coming back to the computer it will trip a code the MILS will only work if the wiring is good.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
well let me pose another question the lean code form what i just read up on could be air that is not being measured by the mass air flow unit making it to the engine or a dirty mass air flow

and those 2 codes have to do with either BAD 02s or the wiring on the harness being no good OR an exhaust leak.

So i now have a few questions

How do i clean the Mass Air, how do i check for air leaking in after the meter?

How big does an exhaust leak have to be to throw off the rear 02s? i do have an exhaust leak on the car but im assuming with the MILs plugged in it wouldnt matter becuase the MILs are keeping the signal of the rear 02s from going crazy regardless

How often has any ever encountered a 02 sensor harness that has either been burned or cut or anything to disrupt the electrical signal and throw a code even with MILs in there because id think even with MILs if the signal is not coming back to the computer it will trip a code the MILS will only work if the wiring is good.

1st chase all your vacuum lines make sure none are cracked or unplugged. Then while the car is idling, take carb cleaner (with the straw on it) spray a little bit on areas where a gasket is, i.e. plenum, tb, upper intake, lower intake, IMRC plates. If the engine bogs down when you spray then you know there is a vacuum leak there.

Like I said the MILs plain didn't work on my car. Those O2's just need turned off in a tune. IMO if you are running LT's without cats and any other mods that's enough to necessitate getting the thing tuned.

96Cobracomander

Established Member
Okay im heading to auto store now for some carb cleaner, what should i use to clean the MA meter? IIRC i cant use regular cleaner spray

ALSO i think i solved my 02 MIL problem, i was just under the car no less then 20 minutes ago checking all the harness's nothing was burnt, frayed nor cut and i get down to where the harness goes into the MILs then the 02 sensor.. and i notice a extention type plug in and then it hits me.... the car has had 2 MILs on each 02 sensor that was probably tripping the code!

when i bought the car the guytold me the CEL was just the rear 02s cuz of no cats, upon further investigation i looked and the 02s were actually BROKEN so i went and bought the new ones along with a pair of MILs, so that will explain why i was still getting a code even with new 02 sensors!

96Cobracomander

Established Member
the factory harness was hidden so far up in the cross member of the transmission i could see that the terminal i was plugging my new MILs into were actually another set of MILs all i saw was the black terminal just barely visible hanging from the cross member, this is effin nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread