Throwing A Code...What Now?

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
After putting in a fresh set of plugs, my 01 cobra has been throwing a code. P0354 - (Ignition Coil D Primary / Secondary Circuit malfunction). My questions are 1. Does this point out a particular coil that is going bad? 2. What would normally cause this type of code? I researched this on the forum and only found out that another cobra owner attirbuted this problem to improper gapping, However, that same person had a modified terminator engine and said that he was setting his gap different from stock because of his spark needs. Now I have a relatively stock cobra and I would like to single out a particular coil/cylinder rather than pull them all and re-gap the plugs only to find out it's something else. The engine is running kinda crappy and whenever you're idleing it rocks the car and has a slight popping sound in the exhaust (kinda like a misfire). If you gas it, I get not only an extreme bucking, but the exhaust tone amplifies that popping-misfire type sound. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
whizdumb81 said:
0.054 which is what i believe you recommended to another new edge owner in a previous thread.

Correct.

Since changing plugs is only a 20-30 min affair on our cars, I'd recommend to spend that 1/2 hour checking them again. Perhaps one of them might have a broken/cracked ceramic that could be causing a loss of spark...or the gap on a plug might have closed during a bump on the head during insertion.

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
I guess you're right... It' doesn't take that long but i would really like to know if there is a particular cylinder that this points out just incase it's a coil problem itself?

01vert

Established Member
Sounds like maybe a COP connector got slightly pulled apart when you changed the plugs and one is not firing now? Easiest way is to pull the coil covers first and just check the connections on top of them while the motor is running. Push down on them to see if one didnt seat right?

After that you can start pulling and checking the gaps.

Good luck

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
I just found something kinda weird... I looked at all the coils and found one that had a grease buildup inside where the acctual coiled wire that sits on the plug is. I scraped out the grease that was probably screwing up the spark. I cleared the code with my scanner and took it for a drive, seems to be running better now. But I have cleared this code once before and it came back within about 3 days. I hope that this little buildup was the only thing causing the problem and that it doesn't come back... I'll drive it the next few days and update you all... Thanks for the help guys and if it comes back, i will let you know, and try the other methods you have mentioned

PS. don't know how the grease got there but i'm guessing that it was inside the socket i used to take out and put in the plugs.Then it found it's way onto the top of the plug and then inside the coil. I guess that was pretty stupid. Won't do that again.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
whizdumb81 said:
I just found something kinda weird... I looked at all the coils and found one that had a grease buildup inside where the acctual coiled wire that sits on the plug is. I scraped out the grease that was probably screwing up the spark. I cleared the code with my scanner and took it for a drive, seems to be running better now. But I have cleared this code once before and it came back within about 3 days. I hope that this little buildup was the only thing causing the problem and that it doesn't come back... I'll drive it the next few days and update you all... Thanks for the help guys and if it comes back, i will let you know, and try the other methods you have mentioned

PS. don't know how the grease got there but i'm guessing that it was inside the socket i used to take out and put in the plugs.Then it found it's way onto the top of the plug and then inside the coil. I guess that was pretty stupid. Won't do that again.

It's dielectric grease. It helps keep contact with the plug and prevents the boot's coils from sticking to the plug. That was not your problem.

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
006 said:
It's dielectric grease. It helps keep contact with the plug and prevents the boot's coils from sticking to the plug. That was not your problem.
Ok... But i didn't see it on anyof the other coils. So why only on one coil?

Users who are viewing this thread