Throw Out Bearing (TOB) Noise (bad design).

Is your Throw-out Bearing noisy or has been replaced?

• YES!

Votes: 214 77.8%
  • NO.

Votes: 61 22.2%

• Total voters

HotSonicBlue03

VNOMISS
Established Member
67scstang said:
So, what is the best TOB and Retainer? My dealership will replace them for me under warranty and I will be doing it soon.

Well i dropped my car off this morning at the dealership, they'll probably replace both but my plan was to get the centerforce dfx clutch and stuff since they were gonna replace it anyway so why pay labor twice...but i didnt have the funds lol so ima gonna let ford replace it for now.

HotSonicBlue03

VNOMISS
Established Member
They replaced my transmission case, so tob aslo. I got the car back last friday and there was an exhaust leak....took it to chicane and saw that when they took it for a "test drive" they put a big hole in one of the cats. god damn galpin ford :fm:

mtb01

Established Member
I'm getting mine back tomorrow, and had the TOB replaced with the retainer. The told my retainer had snapped. He said they replaced everything with upgrades parts. He also said it will drive and sound alot better. Can't wait to get her back. All was taken care of under warranty. Car had 22000 miles.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
I had the TSB done about 10k miles ago; new retainer, plate, TOB.

10k miles later, it's starting to squeel again; this will be the 4th visit. I had this same issue 2 times in my old 99 Cobra. Why in the world is Ford continuing to use such a crappy set up and parts- they must be spending a fortune on warrenty repairs, very poor business sense IMHO. No wonder they're laying off 30,000 people- hopefully some of them are the idiots analyzing warrenty repair rates and expenses. There's no way nearly 75% of us have this problem and yet they keep right on replacing them without someone knowing. Maybe a Ford exec is banging some parts supplier..

SteveChris

Established Member
after i got the car i had the idling with crickets problem too. at least thats what it sounded like to me, crickets chirping away. luckily a tooth broke off 2nd and started eating the insides of my tranny so i had an upgraded transmission put in. it had a shirt throw handle and hopefully a fixed tob so it wont go back later on

SpectorV

Established Member
My 2001 v6 mustang went though 4, yes 4, throwout bearings. One within a week..... I finally put an adjuster and quadrent in it along with adjusting it good. I sold the car with 60k and the last 40k~ had been worry free once I adjusted it right and kept it adjusted right. I would get a tick very rarly though.

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
ltv1 said:
Mine sounded like silverware being dropped into an air handler fan with a pig squealing in the background.

That is what mine is doing right now. So I would say a TOB, retainer, 26 spline and a new clutch is in order. Who sells this package deal. My car is a 03 daily driver with 30,000 putting 466 to the wheels? I think the spec stage 3 is the way I will go.

Any sponsers or dealers have a package deal? PM me or post here.

Thanks in advance,

VPF

etfhb

Established Member
mine started chirping last night @ 22,000 miles, ill drop it off today

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
etfhb said:
mine started chirping last night @ 22,000 miles, ill drop it off today

Last august when i had the head replaced for the tick, i had the dealer put in a TOB from D&D Transmission. After seeing how the new TOB is made, i know it will not need repaced. IMO

etfhb

Established Member
id like to know what the dealers are actually replacing on your cars.

from digging in old threads ( not including the old days when a few received new trannys ) it seems that some dealers are doing different things:

1) just NEW throwout bearing installed

2) new throwout bearing, new cover plate, and new retainer sleeve ( i believe this is exactly what they perform if they follow TSB 04-13-4 )

3) new clutch assembly along with # 2

im all ears because my car went in yesterday, the tob only went a couple days ago but i could smell the clutch two times while driving ( normal driving )

i think i will ask the service adviser to sign a receipt stating the clutch has no abnormal wear if that is their conclusion. that way if it is toast in a week atleast i have something to come back to the dealer with.

:)

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Ford should have recalled these cars for this problem. This is bullshit, too high a % of owners have had this problem. These cars cost too much $$$ for us to deal with basic stuff like this going wrong. My car had less than 10K on the clock when mine started making noise. Now it's gone and making really funny noises. I ordered McLeod TOB and tube and now I might have to pay labor of $500 to get these parts installed unless Whi Tri or another stanger in VA is willing to help me change it. This is crap we shouldn't have to deal with.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
onebadmf said:
Question guys,

Has anyone had problems getting this replaced under warranty with an aftermarket quadrant / firewall adjuster?

It's gonna depend on your dealership. I called around to have the cooling mod installed and the dealership said that Ford's official policy is no but they said installing aftermarket parts depends on the individual tech. You might have to pay for the labor on your own dime.

HKB

Established Member
I have almost 30,000 miles on my car and have never had any transmission , clutch or TOB problems-yet ! I did install the Steeda adjustable clutch cable & quadrant at about 10,000 miles.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
93 347 Cobra said:
Ford should have recalled these cars for this problem. This is bullshit, too high a % of owners have had this problem. These cars cost too much $$$ for us to deal with basic stuff like this going wrong. My car had less than 10K on the clock when mine started making noise. Now it's gone and making really funny noises. I ordered McLeod TOB and tube and now I might have to pay labor of $500 to get these parts installed unless Whi Tri or another stanger in VA is willing to help me change it. This is crap we shouldn't have to deal with.

I just turned 7,000 miles and i have it!

04OrangeMach1

Established Member
Hell yah I had mine replaced and its starting to to it agian its really pissing me off and my tranys starting to ack funny!!! Like grinding when i put it in reverse and other stuff!!!

Users who are viewing this thread