Throw out bearing noise?

SLO_SHO

Established Member
Hello ! I am new to the group and also a new Terminator owner, and it happens to be my first manual car so please bare with me. The car is an 03 with 89k miles on it. It has an upgraded stage 2 clutch along with a hydraulic clutch set up. I'm not sure when it was installed from the previous owner. I've noticed the last time out, and just starting the car up I hear what I believe is the throw out bearing making noise? Atleast from the videos I've watched , it seems like it could be just that. I'll add the video to this thread as well ... When I push the clutch pedal in ever so slightly while in neutral the car will make a chirping type noise, when the clutch is all the way in I can still hear it but not as bad, but with my foot off the clutch it seems to go away. Also, in the video towards the end I give it is a couple revs and as the revs begin the decrease I hear the chirp again ..I'm not sure if they go hand in hand, but during that time my foot is completely off the clutch. I will also add that when the car is warmed up it doesn't seem to make as much noise but is still present, sometimes leaving a stop light going into first I can hear it. Anyway, thanks for looking and giving suggestions. Excited to be apart of the cobra club . Here's a pic of my car , I'll get the video up shortly
6d3a07660472d70701f47b2088a2b772.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Zemedici

Established Member
You guessed it

Good looking and sounding car

Fwiw i only had luck with ford TOBs, the car would chew up any aftermarket, with zero changes to my driving style. OEM would hold up fine

SLO_SHO

Established Member
You guessed it

Good looking and sounding car

Fwiw i only had luck with ford TOBs, the car would chew up any aftermarket, with zero changes to my driving style. OEM would hold up fine
Thanks for the reply, and nice comment... appreciate that. And also good info about the OEM parts. Long shot but would the clutch cable just need to be adjusted or is it for sure the TOB itself? Not sure if it's different with the hydraulic clutch though..?

SLO_SHO

Established Member
What hydraulic conversion was used? I didn't think any of them fit with the 4V valve covers?
Looks to be the McLeod conversion, I don't think it's meant for the car technically but the previous owner had modified (cut) the coil cover so that the hydraulic clutch would have room..I'll attach a photo
71bebdf31bcd3e39071d80a783b40021.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
The TOB bearing is going to depend on how the conversion is set up. You don't have a clutch cable to adjust. You'll need to get under the car to see if they still have the stock fork or if it was changed to a hydraulic TOB.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I seem to have what sounds like a throw out bearing noice only leaving in first gear. And it's random.....

I'm using a Ford tob and maybe 1000-1500 miles on clutch.....

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

SLO_SHO

Established Member
I talked with the previous owner and he said that he had a new Ford oem throw out bearing installed along with the hydraulic clutch itself less than 600 miles ago. He mentioned that the fork could be rubbing a little bit against the bell housing which I will need to check out. He also said that since the clutch is new it needs a break in time that it may also need a little adjusting with the nut on the clutch fork/ or bleeding the system . Even if it is that case, would it be making the same noise I'm getting that's in the video I posted?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
A hydraulic clutch is probably the most uncommon thing for these cars. I’ve actually never seen one for a mustang but it is possible that what he said is correct about the clutch fork or an overall adjustment

muscleatsrice

Established Member
Could be the bearing retainer sleeve on the transmission as well as the tob. Do you know if it still has the factory bearing retainer(most likely does)? Either way that trans is probably going to need to come out. Would be a good time upgrade the bearing retainer, in the process of doing this on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Zemedici

Established Member
A hydraulic clutch is probably the most uncommon thing for these cars. I’ve actually never seen one for a mustang but it is possible that what he said is correct about the clutch fork or an overall adjustment

correct, thought that was weird as hell too

Did he say why he went with the hydro setup?

Could make sense about adjustment

SLO_SHO

Established Member
I agree, from what I've gathered it seems like I'm the only one that has one lol which I suppose could be a good or a bad thing. I still need to look into the fork, but I did notice that my clutch pedal had an 1.5"-2" travel/play before actually biting and I've read you only want about half an inch. Not saying that will help my problem but I did adjust the clutch at the firewall and did seem to make the noise go away a little bit, just not fully but is less consistent from the few mins I had it running. (were back to 30* days here in MN so haven't had the time to take it out since I've made the adjustment) I'm hoping it's something as simple as that, but I have a feeling I may need to dig a little deeper.

SLO_SHO

Established Member
Could be the bearing retainer sleeve on the transmission as well as the tob. Do you know if it still has the factory bearing retainer(most likely does)? Either way that trans is probably going to need to come out. Would be a good time upgrade the bearing retainer, in the process of doing this on mine.

I'll need to look into that, to be honest I'm not sure if it's the factory bearing retaining..I would assume so but than again you can't assume anything nowadays. For checking that would I need to drop the trans?

SLO_SHO

Established Member
correct, thought that was weird as hell too

Did he say why he went with the hydro setup?

Could make sense about adjustment
I never did ask him why he went that route ..I thought maybe there was a fair amount of people that were running them, but I also didn't ask or do much research on that ..*bonk*

muscleatsrice

Established Member
I'll need to look into that, to be honest I'm not sure if it's the factory bearing retaining..I would assume so but than again you can't assume anything nowadays. For checking that would I need to drop the trans?

Yes, trans would need to come out.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
I was interested in the conversion when they first came out. But then I found out they don't work with the 4V heads. At least without modification apparently. It's supposed to help lighten the pedal effort. But I think there are enough low effort clutches out that most don't even think about it.

SLO_SHO

Established Member
Alright, so I finally got under the car and went to adjust the nut on the fork, as seen on the picture (yes looks like the previous owner used a 10mm socket as a washer LOL) and now when I started the car the chirping is the exact opposite from before. Now it will chirp when the clutch pedal is not pressed but as soon as I put pressure on the clutch pedal the chirping goes away. Do I just have to adjust again to find the happy medium where it doesn't chirp at all? I did throw some white grease on there but didn't seem to help much. Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it.
69a1186ce8af81cc34fe6782bed8ae1d.jpg

MG0h3

Established Member
The throw out bearing should be spinning at all times, meaning it has contact with the PP fingers at all times.

The squeak you would hear when you applied pressure to the pedal is the bearing going from 0 rpm to 850 rpm.

Manually operate the fork with your hand with the car running and you’ll see what I mean.

I have an aftermarket hydraulic system on my 73’ CJ5. Well I actually pieced it together myself. I had to use a spring to apply a little pressure on the fork. All of the factory hydraulic clutches I ever worked on had the lines running into the TOB which had an integrated spring.

Users who are viewing this thread