Throw out bearing AGAIN!!?!??!

1SL0SVT

"I Missed 3rd man"
Established Member
So i decide to take my recently purchased 99 cobra out for a Saturday afternoon cruise, and i didn't get but a mile down the road and the clutch pedal became spongy. Pulled over in a parking lot and attempted to put her in 1st and she starts squealing like the pig Ford secretly bred her to be. Ended up having to push start her like a BMW and limped home in 1st!:cuss: Previous owner said he changed the bearing once before. Now what brand should i go with THIS time around to ensure i wont be dishing out bucks to change this part again??

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Only use FRPP bearings. Previous owner likely just used whatever came with the clutch which is a basically guaranteed to fail.

1SL0SVT

"I Missed 3rd man"
Established Member
Appreciate it man, its got a stage 3 clutch but apparently he mustve skimped on the minor parts....

HasteTheDay

Established Member
I went through 3 TOB's in a very short time and finally bought a Ford Racing one. The shop also resurfaced my flywheel. It's been good now for over 2 years.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
I had the same thing happen to me, something was screeching bloody murder after I went to get it from the shop, it was quite embarrassing pulling into the fair parking lot. Went with the FRRP throwout bearing and have been more than satisfied.

Zemedici

Established Member
Mine's in the shop right now for the TOB chirping

Funny, when I was arguing with my ex mechanic (who's ASE certified many times over) he said a National bearing would be fine. I said otherwise. I said 'when it goes out you replace it under warranty'

He replied 'sure'

Well, I won, but we no longer associate so in the end I got screwed. lololol oh well Just goes to show sometimes certs arent worth the paper they're printed on.

1SL0SVT

"I Missed 3rd man"
Established Member
Ha well i have a mechanic friend as well who works at a ford dealership and he was gonna get everything i needed at dealership price + do the job for $200. Problem was throwout bearing WELDED itself to the clutch fork and the ol' stealership was 40 min away so ended up pushing her down the road to a local shop. And paid $900:shrug: what can you do.... BUT they did resurface the flywheel and everything seems as it should. Cheers for FRPP!

Zemedici

Established Member
^Absolutely let us know! I feel that will eliminate the chirp because if I rest my foot on the clutch pedal and eradicate the 'dead spot' the chirping stops

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Got the kit, installed it, and I still have the chirp.
This Bullitt still has the original clutch cable.

I've seen where guys have been successful with this bushing/spring fix.
Those pics show a clutch cable with threaded rod/adjustment nuts on the end of the clutch cable. Not sure if that makes a difference or not...

What I do know is that when I power washed the engine bay last week, the "chirp" was quiet for five minutes of so…
The "chirp" is friction related between two surfaces…

Anyway, here's what I did:

tF4TGL9.png

WcdeLpp.png

I've also seen a pic where the guy installed the bushing in the reverse direction.
With the retaining clip on this car it makes no sense to do that.

zuQe78s.png

6dA5CZ5.png

With the clutch pedal to the floor. There's still room between the windings (required):
OPYLTxR.png

I may just take the bushing/spring back out when I do the next oil change…

Maybe a FRPP would eliminate the "chirp"…???

Users who are viewing this thread