throw out bearing ? 03 cobra

XCLR8ME

Established Member
So I believe my tob is going bad. Every morning or when my car is cold I start it and I hear some scratching noise that goes on and off alone. If I press my clutch in or out it wont go away but I know its coming from the tranny.. as soon as I drive to normal temperatures it goes away. Any thoughts? Is this a sign of my TOB going out?
Spec stage 3 clutch with Ford motorcraft oem TOB..
it only does the TOB noise when cold...

brownsvo

Chrome of Mystic
Established Member
So I believe my tob is going bad.

Why?

If I press my clutch in or out it wont go away but I know its coming from the tranny..

i want to say 90% of the time, if it is the tob the noise will go away when the clutch is pressed in. Ask me how i know, nevermind, ill tell you its because mine does it.

Any thoughts? Spec stage 3 clutch with Ford motorcraft oem TOB..
it only does the TOB noise when cold...

I am assuming this clutch was put in with new TOB/Pilotbearing/Greased parts like you're supposed to do with a swap, Because its oem why would think its automatically bad? Can you be 100% sure its coming from the transmission?

what if i told you idler pullies and or your belts will make the same high pitched squeal and may even clear up when warmed up.

XCLR8ME

Established Member
Its really confusing , 'something' that sounds like TOB is making scratching noises when car is cold under the car . No matter if I press or release my clutch pedal it won't go away. It may be a idler pulley but I dnt notice the noise from the engine bay.(n ive had a idler pulley go bad).. I am a OEM type of guy so im not assuming its the TOB just because it's OEM. Thats the reason I put in a OEM TOB so it wont mess up. Also by the time I drive to a shop to get it checked out the noise is gone. Il post up a video soon so u guys can hear it yourselfs.

Zemedici

Established Member
Get it diagnosed, as stated above, 90% of TOB griding ceases when clutch is pressed.

I thought mine was going bad, had it diagnosed, my ring/starter gear separated from the flywheel (wtf?)

Just get it checked out. Ask who at the dealership is the "mustang guy" (every ford has one), and have him diag it.

XCLR8ME

Established Member
That's the thing you cant really trust anyone(especially ford techs) supposedly the guys I took it to were trustwhorty. But somehow after paying 1400$ on parts and labor and in a few months it messes up? I find that strange. . . I may take it to RET here in Downey CA hopefully Greg can diognose my car.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Ford's spherical TOB design is pathetic! :(

I don't know why they felt compelled to use this type of bearing. I've seen TOB on Honda's that would put this thing to shame which use more conventional sealed roller bearings. I would not count on anyone making any breakthroughs improving this design because it would have been done already. I would just stick the OE TOB and cross your fingers. Some people do get lucky.

XCLR8ME

Established Member
I am in the process in uploading the video. Its really hard to listen to it . you guys have to pay close attention in the beginning. il post the link up as soon as its up .

Would i have to take my clutch off to get to the TOB? or can I slide it in somehow without unbolting the clutch . I plan on doing this in my drive way with TRUSTED mustang mechanics helping.

XCLR8ME

Established Member
BUT first i will have it checked out like Zemedici mentioned . Better to know what the problem really is. Instead of dropping the Tranny for no reason. ..

Furrytractor

Established Member
with my minimal experience with tob's, ive had 2 go bad on 2 diff stangs, that doesnt sound like a tob. That sounds more like a rub and the 2 that went bad on mine were more of a rattle or clanking sound

XCLR8ME

Established Member
Got her fixed up guys it was a TOB . Replaced it with a Centerforce TOB in a matter of hours at my friends shop. (Much easier with a lift ) :) what a difference. My clutch feels brand new again!!

Users who are viewing this thread