Throttle very touchy after installing 2.3 whipple

cj428mach

Established Member
I noticed after installing this Whipple that even with a little blip of the throttle I see boost. I deleted all the stuff off the side of the blower and following this guide here for the vacuum: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?562225-The-complete-quot-EGR-Delete-quot-How-To

I haven't gone in for a tune yet but I'm not sure that would have anything to do with this.

What throttlebody are you running? A SBTB will lose vacuum much quicker than a stocker allowing you to build boost quicker.

99FiveOh

Established Member
It's an accufab single blade. I can increase rpm gradually without boost so the actuator should be working right?

cj428mach

Established Member
The throttle body is mechanical. There's nothing for the tuner to do to it.

Ditto,

The way boost is controlled is via the dump valve which allows you to build boost after you hit 0 manifold vacuum (AKA WOT). A bigger TB allows this to happen easier. You might look your throttlebody over as some accufabs have had the "driveability mod" which is basically relocating the throttle linkage cam to give the pedal a different feel. The bonus of this is it gets rid of lag on cruise control engagement, but it also makes the pedal feel really soft.

99FiveOh

Established Member
Can you describe this drivability mod? I bought all these parts as a package second hand. The dump valve has been eliminated as per the EGR delete how to thread.

I appreciate the input guys!

99FiveOh

Established Member
Also does the bottom hose on the actuator have to be vented to atmosphere? Mine is running over to the cold air intake tube.

cj428mach

Established Member

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Also does the bottom hose on the actuator have to be vented to atmosphere? Mine is running over to the cold air intake tube.
I would vent it to the atmosphere, that little bit of vacuum from the intake on the other side of the actuator may cause the boost bypass to close later or stay closed during normal driving. That vent just allows air to move in and out of the other side of the diafragm well filtering any debris from getting in.

Zemedici

Established Member
Some very good info in this thread. Keep it up guys. :beer:

And OP, you're driving the car without tuning it??

99FiveOh

Established Member
Yes, I drove it to work one day to make sure all was well then drove it to the dyno. There were no WOT pulls so it was fine. Ended up getting it tuned Saturday. Put down 589/554. Gotta go tonight and touch up the tune a little as I heard a little detonation yesterday when it got hot out. Gotta dial back the timing a little.

As far as the throttle body I absolutely hate it. It has this "on/off" feel all the time. Makes it really hard to be at part throttle cruise. It either wants to accelerate or decel and sometimes goes back and forth constantly. I've had to learn how to level off the throttle smoothly and it makes it more bearable.

Users who are viewing this thread