Throttle position sensor ?

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Does anyone know what the voltage should be? I just found out that I have a bbk 62mm twin aftermarket throttle body on my car. And it looks to me as tho someone just slapped on the throttle position sensor and didn't adjust it. Also, with the mods I have (bassini x w/ cats) does anyone else backfire when their car is in 3rd or 4th going down a hill and you start to touch the pedal then it backfires in the exhaust. I would love to know if I'm the only one that is backfiring with an aftermarket x or h pipe. If any of you have ANY info please help. Thanks guys:shrug:

i8u

Established Member
You definetly should not be backfiring.
1. your referance voltage will be 5 volts.
2. throttle plate closed signal voltage should be close to 0 volts
3. all the way open it should be close to 5 volts

Do you have a after market chip changing your timing?

hope it's not mechanical. Good luck

also I had idle problems w/ my bbk 62 tb as soon as i put it on. I've heard you can adjust the screw in the middle to fix this but i don't know for sure.

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by brad65ford
Does anyone know what the voltage should be? I just found out that I have a bbk 62mm twin aftermarket throttle body on my car. And it looks to me as tho someone just slapped on the throttle position sensor and didn't adjust it. Also, with the mods I have (bassini x w/ cats) does anyone else backfire when their car is in 3rd or 4th going down a hill and you start to touch the pedal then it backfires in the exhaust. I would love to know if I'm the only one that is backfiring with an aftermarket x or h pipe. If any of you have ANY info please help. Thanks guys:shrug:

I don't know if this means anything, but the 00R's with the Bassani exhaust do the same thing with the backfiring. It is believed to be caused from the terribly rish condition the R's are setup with, although I have not heard of other Cobra's being as rich. A chip really helps the R, don't know if it will help you?

Brian

YELL-OSNAKE

Established Member
I have bassani x/w cats also, and flowmasters, and I don't get a backfire. I also have a chip from php, but I don't remember any drive problems, before the chip. The exhaust was one of my first mods.:)

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Which wires???

Thanks for all the fast responses. i8u, are you sure about those numbers, were did you get that info. Also what wires (colors). I've just tried the black and the one next to it. The reading was 3.95 at closed. And .07 at full throttle THE OPPOSITE ?????????????? the stock sensor has bushing in it. Should I drill them out to be able to more the sensor?????? Thanks alot guys for all your info. Brad

Last edited:

TcM-668

RE TPS...contact BBK and talk to their tech support group.

http://www.bbkperformance.com/contact.html

They should be able to give you guidance as to how to set the TPS. .98 Vdc is the correct voltage for a 5.0 with ignition on, but motor not running. Not sure about the 4.6l though.

Some of the 00 Rs have a backfire problem during deceleration... this is from a rich fuel condition.

It sounds like your backfiring is during acceleration. If this is the case, I would look at the TPS, timing(if adjustable). I have a similar situation on my 93 GT at around 1800 RPM . I suspect that with the stage 3 Port/Polish TrickFlow TFS TW heads, TFS Intake, 30lb injectors, 75 mm T/B and MAF, lumpy Crower cam, Bassani X/w cats, the computer does not know what to make of all that flow. I also get a backfire on decel on my 93 GT now. I guess I'll have to get a chip shot for it to try and sort out some of this out.

good luck and let us know what you find out.

Don...

00 R # 152
93 GT Conv
93 LX Coupe
92 Honda Accord EX Wagon
89 Isuzu I-Mark Hatch SunSport

i8u

Established Member
Automotive Electrical and Electronic Systems, Second Edition, pg. 60, by Frank C. Derato was the book I referred to. One wire is your referance voltage. One wire is you ground ( black). The other is your signal voltage. Your resister for works opposite from how I thought. Your readings look fine. If you still doubt you tps, I would hook it up to an oscilloscope to view the wave forms of the analog signal. As you move the trottle plates from open to closed you should see a steady change in voltage looking like a wave. If at any time voltage stays the same (making a flat line) while the tps is moving then it is bad.

Last edited:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
thank you

Thank you all, for the help and info. I got my tps as close to 5. and .0 as possible (.400 and .015). The backfiring didn't stop but got better, I'm still getting a heisition when I punch it. I'm planning on getting the FR500 cat-back from Ford soon, hopefully the dual chamber muffler will help (I hate the x-pipe w/ the glasspack style mufflers sound I'm getting) the car sounds like a off-shore speed boat, NO JOKE INTENDED.

i8u

Established Member
Question???

Is it an actual backfire of just a pop from lack of back pressure in your exaust?

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Exactly

I do not know. What I'm thinking is she run rich because of the x pipe? Plugs are perfect tho. It sucks, I only know one person with a cobra (01 and his throw out bearing is going 8k miles), and his car is stock and sound really good. Anybody in the Northern Jersery area with mod exhaust thats will the let me hear their car?

Users who are viewing this thread