Throttle cable..

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Has anyone figured out a good solution to these not being sold anymore?

It seems like you either find a good used one (which are like $125), or build your own and pray that it holds. I've tried to fix it twice and it failed both times. One with a universal kit which failed me and another crimping together a new cable to the old one that ties into the TB.

shurur

Established Member
I thought someone got a (Lokar?) Cable to work.

Otherwise you can probably make your own. There are vids on youtube that show how to make those molten cable ends with some lead, a torch, a drill and a block of wood.

There are also screw-barrel ends that may work.

I would probably buy a GT cable so that one end would be already done for me.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
GT cable is actually a little short.

I found a post somewhere that said Lokar could make one, but they need the specs. I can't believe no one has picked up this section of the market. It's a cable and now the only used ones I can find are $250.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
GT cable is actually a little short.

I found a post somewhere that said Lokar could make one, but they need the specs. I can't believe no one has picked up this section of the market. It's a cable and now the only used ones I can find are $250.

Sounds like you missed the boat with the $125 ones. haha

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Sounds like you missed the boat with the $125 ones. haha
Lol Rachel had found it from Precision mustang parts or something, when I just looked it was $250.

I lost the throttle in 2 different races after bad fixes and I refuse to take the car back until I have it 100%.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Lol Rachel had found it from Precision mustang parts or something, when I just looked it was $250.

I lost the throttle in 2 different races after bad fixes and I refuse to take the car back until I have it 100%.

I'd drill a 3/8" hole in the bottom of the driver's side of the windshield. Attach a pull cable to the throttle body, loop it into the cabin. Vroom vroom

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'd drill a 3/8" hole in the bottom of the driver's side of the windshield. Attach a pull cable to the throttle body, loop it into the cabin. Vroom vroom
I was literally trying to do that with my foot on the last race. I could stuff my foot up far enough to feel the cable under my shoe and I was trying to drag it sideways to pull it lol.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Ok so I have an idea.

Anyone who reads this, let me know if it's dumb or not.

The 99/01 Cobra cable is about 10" longer and has a different sheathing (with different mounting points on it) but it does appear to have the same barrel that hooks into the throttle body.

I can clip off the pedal end of the 99/01 cable, pull it out of the sheathing it came with and snake it into the 96-98 sheathing, get it lined up under the dash and mark it. I'll then pull it out, take it to my father in law who has access to aviation rated crimps and have him put an end stop on it.

The other option is to find a barrel end that is similar to the ford one but it's weird because it's offset and one side has a larger diameter.

Users who are viewing this thread