Throttle body shaft and iac leaks

96dreamer

Established Member
Was pressure testing my intake assembly to check for leaks prior to the blower install and discovered the throttle body shaft was leaking a pretty good amount on both sides as well as the threaded plug on top and the body of the iac valve. I sealed the top with some pipe dope and haven't taken the throttle body off yet to look into the shaft or iac. Anyone dealt with this issue before? Can I pull the throttle body apart and seal it up with o-rings or new bearings? Do I need to run a certain iac to prevent leaks? Not sure what the brand the iac is but it isn't oem.

RJCarp2

Established Member
The body of the IAC is made to leak. That cap on it is a vacuum vent. It is there to keep the IAC from getting stuck in a closed position under engine vacuum.

The 03/04 Cobra IAC uses what I assume to be a stronger solenoid so that a vacuum vent isn't required. It uses the same port configuration as well as electrical connector, so it's a direct swap. However, the transfer function is not exactly the same so a little tuning is needed. If you're putting on a blower, that's probably not an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread