Throttle Body Repair/Rebuild

railroad

Established Member
Asking this under the Shelby topics, due to confidence in posters.
Have an Edelbrock throttle body, part of the supercharger package. Error codes P1000, P2105, P2112. Car will start and forced shut down, then not start again.
Trying to avoid paying for a new throttle body.
Issue was created when dealership flashed computer.
No need getting into dealership issues now, just need to get the car running again.
I hope to contact Revan for his knowledge and personal communicating skills and BrenSpeed, installer of the Edelbrock supercharger. Neither at fault, just need some experienced advise.
Thanks for any advise on the throttle body issue.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Have you contacted Edelbrock, they may be able to repair the unit or steer you to an authorized repair facility?

Edelbrock, LLC Headquarters
2700 California Street, Torrance, CA 90503

Phone: 310-781-2222
Fax: 310-320-1187
Tech Line Only: 800-416-8628
Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm PST
Tech Line Hours:
Monday-Thursday 7:00 am - 4:45 pm PST
Friday 7:00 am - 3:45 pm PST

Snoopy49

Established Member
P1000 - On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) Systems Readiness Test Not Complete

Description:
The OBD monitors are carried out during the OBD drive cycle. DTC P1000 is stored in continuous memory if any of the OBD monitors do not carry out their full diagnostic check.

Possible Causes:
_ The vehicle is new from the factory
_ Battery or powertrain control module (PCM) had recently been disconnected
_ An OBD monitor concern occurred before completion of an OBD drive cycle
_ PCM DTCs have recently been cleared with a scan tool
_ Power take off (PTO) circuit concern or PTO is on during testing.

Diagnostic Aids:
This DTC, inspection/maintenance (I/M) readiness function is part of the PCM strategy. A battery disconnection or clearing codes using a scan tool results in the various I/M readiness bits being set to a not-ready condition. As each non-continuous OBD monitor completes a full diagnostic check, the I/M readiness bit associated with that monitor is set to a ready condition. This may take 1 or 2 drive cycles based on whether concerns are detected or not. The readiness bits for comprehensive component monitoring (CCM), misfire, and fuel system monitoring are considered complete once all the non-continuous monitors have been evaluated. Because the EVAP and secondary air injection (AIR) system monitors require certain ambient conditions to run, special logic can bypass the monitor for the purpose of clearing the EVAP/secondary AIR system I/M readiness bit, due to continued presence of these extreme conditions. DTC P1000 does not need to be cleared from the PCM except to pass an I/M test. The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) flashes after a period of time with the key in the RUN position (engine not running) if DTC P1000 is set.

P2105 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Forced Engine Shutdown

Description:

This DTC sets when the TAC system is in the failure mode effects management (FMEM) mode of forced engine shutdown.

Possible Causes:

Diagnostic Aids:

This DTC is an informational DTC and may set with a number of other DTCs which are causing the FMEM. Diagnose other DTCs first.

P2112 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Stuck Closed

Description:

This DTC sets when the fault status indicates the throttle plate is at a lower angle than commanded.

Possible Causes:
 Throttle body stuck closed
 Throttle body stuck binding
 TACM+ circuit open
 TACM- circuit open
 TACM+ and TACM- circuits are cross wired
 TACM+ and TACM- circuits are shorted together
 Damaged PCM

Last edited:

railroad

Established Member
Thanks Snoopy,
As always, your info helps greatly.
I have a call into Edel, too busy to talk, will call you.
Revan, responded to my son through facebook. He never fails to answer, when called.
Brenspeed, spent 47 minutes with the Ford dealer tech and another 30 minutes with me today.
I was not in the loop on the first go round, just inherited the problem.
The Brenspeed tech was quiet patient with everyone and offered his knowledge on resolving the issue. We completed the first 2 checks he recommended tonight.
Tune strategies matched and harness connectors look good, clean, all pins and wires in place. I did not ohm out the wires.
The throttle body is Edelbrocks, but they rob the motor, Tps and MAF sensor from the stock parts.
We are going to try a new TB motor.
We do have an anomaly, when the key is turned on the TB motor tries to open the blade, stops about 1/4 open, slams back closed and repeats this about 5 or 6 times.
My son, said the car had done this previously, but always stopped, car started and ran fine.
Hopefully the TB motor is the issue and we can get back to more important things. Again a big thanks to Brenspeed Tech. Super cool guy and stuck with me through all my questions.

railroad

Established Member
Quick update,
Car will still not run. ...bought and installed a new TB motor, same issue.
I did find a thread where an identical issue occurred with removal of the battery cables and re connect.
The solution in this case was a new TB from Edelbrock. It occurred a couple of years back, so my case is so far down the road, Edelbrock will not replace the TB. There seemed to be some issue with the early TBs and Edel replaced them. I probably have one of those, but the car only gets driven a couple of hundred miles a year. So mine is just now showing up. Still communicating with Edel and Brenspeed. Brenspeed has been invaluable in helping guide me, even though we still have an issue. We have another trick up our sleeves, on working on the TB.
Advise for Edel supercharged Fords, disconnect the TB electricals before disconnecting the battery or flashing the computer.
Here is the post, with an identical problem and the results.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forum...mp-mode-codes-2112-2104-keep-coming-back.html

railroad

Established Member
After, a going to fix it or break it attempt, I found the throttle body stop screw had backed out big time.
Re set, locktite, mark with torque stripe, all is good.
I sent an email to Edel, advising they might want to add locktite to the stop screw. Everything else had some on it.

Last edited:

fearthesnake

Established Member
After a going to fix it or break it attempt, I found the throttle body stop screw had backed out big time.
Re set, locktite, mark with torque stripe, all is good.
I sent an email to Edel, advising they might want to add locktite to the stop screw. Everything else had some on it.
The stop screw was the problem the entire time? Glad you got it fixed.

railroad

Established Member
Sorry, no pics. Yes, the stop screw is on the bottom of the TB and not visible until you remove it. I did not know the blade does not touch the bore when properly set. I think when the battery was disconnected and reconnected the ECU ran what ever test it does. It found the TB our of range through the TPS voltable. There are not sensors on the TB motor side, just 2 wires to run the motor.

Users who are viewing this thread