Throttle Body Idler Screw broke

09 gt500

Established Member
i ran into a problem with my CJ65mm throttle body. My plastic idler screw broke and im trying to find a way to fix it. I bought the TB used and the previous owner must of messed with it and cracked it. I was hoping they sell replacement screws but i havent found any luck finding one.

Speedboosted

Established Member
There shouldn't really be any reason to mess with them in the first place. Try calling Tasca Parts

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
I had the same problem. They aren't available separately. If it's the same part as a stock throttle body, buy a used TB without electronics for ~$40 (?). Doesn't seem cost effective, but whatcha gonna do? The part is put in with some ungodly awful threadlocker. Spray it with penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. Then start to unscrew it. Turn it back and forth gently and use more penetrating oil. Do that all the way out as if you were tapping a hole. NEVER give into the urge to turn it a little harder. Get your broken one out however you can then clean up the threads with a tap (I forget the size, but it's SAE, not metric). Maybe clean the good one with a die. Put some Loctite #425 (for plastic to metal) on the threads, adjust the screw before it hardens and you're done. Good luck.

Steve

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Would it be possible to fab up a metal replacement screw? Make sure you note the position of the throttle plate before removing old screw.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Steve,
Do you have any idea what the screw does, does it just set the preload on the spring and plunger or is it just a plug that retains the spring and plunger?

Snoopy49

Established Member
From the 2014 Mustang Workshop Manual.

Throttle Body System Overview
The throttle body system meters air to the engine during idle, part throttle, and wide open throttle (WOT) conditions. The throttle body system consists of single or dual bores with butterfly valve throttle plates and a throttle position (TP) sensor. The airflow is measured by the MAF sensor.

The major components of the throttle body assembly include the TP sensor and the throttle body housing assembly. For additional information on the intake air system components, refer to Engine Control Components in this section.

Features Of The Throttle Body Assembly Include:
  1. A preset stop to locate the WOT position.
  2. A throttle body-mounted TP sensor.
  3. A coating sealant on the throttle bore and throttle plate makes the throttle body airflow tolerant to engine intake sludge accumulation. Some vehicles have a decal advising not to clean.
  4. A non-adjustable stop screw for close plate idle airflow.

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Steve,
Do you have any idea what the screw does, does it just set the preload on the spring and plunger or is it just a plug that retains the spring and plunger?

Snoop,
I can only guess that it's a shock absorber for when the throttle "slams" shut because as you quoted, it's not (readily) adjustable. IF you're going to turn anything (at your own risk) a six point socket on the plastic piece is best. That adjusts the voltage at the TPS, and it's fairly sensitive. The screw slot on the brass center is best left alone.

Steve

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Yup. But we're talking about a pre-broken one and a possible way to bail yourself out.

Steve

Yeah, I know. I was trying to point out that OP shouldn't have been screwing around with it in the first place. No pun intended.

Users who are viewing this thread