Threw a rod and busted the block

lazerred96

Established Member
I threw a rod on my 96 cobra and it busted the block. I'm low on funds but reall need to my car back on the road. What would be the cheapest way to go. The motor had 90,000 miles on it and has never had any power adder on it.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
the absolute cheapest would be a take out lincoln Mark VIII motor, but you lose the forged crank.

Finding a decent 96-98 or 99 shortblock shouldn't be too hard. Id expect to pay about $2,300 for one in good shape.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
you can find Mark8 longblocks for $400-800 easily. And just use that until you can afford to build your motor back up.

How did you spit out a rod?

Toasty

Established Member
the absolute cheapest would be a take out lincoln Mark VIII motor, but you lose the forged crank.

Finding a decent 96-98 or 99 shortblock shouldn't be too hard. Id expect to pay about $2,300 for one in good shape.

2799 for a MMR shortblock. for the 400-500 difference why would you go used?

I know the OP said 'cheapest', but we really should be offering good advice to guys who havent been thru shit like this before.

When I was a younger lad I did alot of fixes 'on the cheap', and came to regret most of them. Being cheap is different than being cost effective. MMR shortblocks at 2799 is cost effective. His teksid is ruined now anyways, so an iron block isnt really a big deal is it?

My94GT

Established Member
spend a few hundred and buy a beater, then save up to build your motor. thats the way id personally go

lazerred96

Established Member
Time really isnt my friend. I haven't taken it apart yet but I think the crank should be ok
I'm leaving to go to Bermuda in 2-3 months to work so I kinda would like to get it running and sell it. But if not I will have plenty of money when I come back and I will build it then. I just don't want the car to sit in a garage for 3 years. I have an 06 Titan so a ride isn't the problem.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
2799 for a MMR shortblock. for the 400-500 difference why would you go used?

I know the OP said 'cheapest', but we really should be offering good advice to guys who havent been thru shit like this before.

When I was a younger lad I did alot of fixes 'on the cheap', and came to regret most of them. Being cheap is different than being cost effective. MMR shortblocks at 2799 is cost effective. His teksid is ruined now anyways, so an iron block isnt really a big deal is it?

The 2700 mmr shortblock is quite simply a piece of trash. Sure it has some forged pistons, but its also an iron block, and its being built by a bunch of dopes.

$2300 is for a new crate shortblock. sorry, i should have made that clear.

vnms96

Established Member
the same thing happened to me about a month ago. instead of buying a used motor, i went and picked up a yukon to dd so i can take my time and build mine up right.

qkslvr221

Established Member
Damn, were you using the stock air intake or another brand? It's pretty rainy down here and I've driven through my fair share of puddles!

I'd say build up a c-head motor, it will give you much more options in the end.

lazerred96

Established Member
Damn, were you using the stock air intake or another brand? It's pretty rainy down here and I've driven through my fair share of puddles!

I'd say build up a c-head motor, it will give you much more options in the end.

Its a JLT. I have too I guess thats just my luck lately. GF takes the kids and 1200 month child support then my car throws a rod all in the same week.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
Its a JLT. I have too I guess thats just my luck lately. GF takes the kids and 1200 month child support then my car throws a rod all in the same week.

dang man... sorry for the bad luck. call some junk yards and see what they have. may find somethin for cheap

blown up 98

Established Member
i have the stock short block out of my 98 cobra sittin in my garage has 34k on it was making a slite tick from about 2500-3500 rpm when i took it out

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Man hope you find a cheap engine/fix. Think of it this way, now you get to find yourself a NEW YOUNGER woman, and possibly a NEWER STRONGER engine upgrade.

As a side note:
I live in Los Angeles which hardly get's any rain. But, when it rains we get flooded in a lot of intersections. I was so paranoid when I installed my JLT that I opted to push the filter and MAF up under the fenderwell where it has less than likely to suck up water through the filter or drown the MAF. Maybe this will work for others that live in high flood areas?:??:
PIC-0002.jpg

PIC-0007-1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread