Three Wide With a C5 'Vette and .50 Trim SRT4

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Rode out to Jacksonville last night to see what was out.

I used to own an SRT-4 so I've been wanting to run an AGP 50 Trim for quite sometime. Well, I found one! There was a C5 6-Speed 'Vette out too. We all wanted to run our cars so decided to head out and run three wide!

Both runs were from 40mph. The SRT was in the center and honked it off. I was in 2nd around 5K rpms. On the third honk, we all hit it at the same time. The SRT and I spun through most of 2nd so we stayed even for a moment. The C5 put about a fender on us but then I ripped into 3rd, kicked her sideways, and was GONE! The SRT was pulling the C5 and I was leaving the SRT. I shut down at about 120 and was close to six cars ahead of the SRT. It seemed the SRT stopped my pulling, so the next race I wound 5th gear out a bit. ;-)

Next run was the same except I ran the GT up to 145 and ended up closer to 8 cars ahead. From what I heard, the C5 started to pull on the SRT, but missed 4th. Lets hear it for the top-end of that damn BOSS I.M.!:banana:

To be fair, I think the SRT4 had more in it. I remember Big Turbo's having more punch than this one. Boost leak, bad tune, ect?

Great bunch of people out there and some AMAZING cars, including a Twin-Turbo Termi! I'll be making a return trip for sure, especially after a 125 shot. :-D

kaz109

Established Member
Good kill. And yes you are right that neon was a horrible representation of a 50trim car...he should've put busses on both you and the vette.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Good kill. And yes you are right that neon was a horrible representation of a 50trim car...he should've put busses on both you and the vette.

Buses? I raced a 50 trim neon and put buses on him. I only had 60 whp more than the OPs car at the time of that race.

kaz109

Established Member
Buses? I raced a 50 trim neon and put buses on him. I only had 60 whp more than the OPs car at the time of that race.

There are more idiot young kids that don't know what they are doing ( tuning and mod wise)because of the market of the car. A 50trim should put busses on your car ( when u raced the neon) and the OP car. We had a few in norcal running with and beating modded Z06's. A YouTube search will also vouch for how well 50trim cars do in the right hands. You both just got poor examples of the car.

99.9%stock

cuz stock sucks!!!
Established Member
There are more idiot young kids that don't know what they are doing ( tuning and mod wise)because of the market of the car. A 50trim should put busses on your car ( when u raced the neon) and the OP car. We had a few in norcal running with and beating modded Z06's. A YouTube search will also vouch for how well 50trim cars do in the right hands. You both just got poor examples of the car.

So what you saying is that a good running 50 trim srt4 will out run your c63 amg.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member

So you are saying its a 130ish trap car?

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Hold crap...all I have to do to beat Nitrous Vettes and TT Terminators is to mount a 50 Trim turbo on an SRT 4? I guess I have been playing with the wrong toys all these years. Damn
You would think that more people would just go that route.

Last edited:

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
I haven't seen one trap that high but 125-127 I have seen

Think it might be a good race for me then......I trapped 123 at 7000 ft DA. Well.......it doesnt matter anymore.....lol. Even turbos lose acouple mph trapspeed up here. I have also beaten c6 z06s by alot, but thats because they are N/A and cant breathe for crap here. Bolt on C6 Z06 traps 114-115 here.......10 mph loss vs sea level.

Last edited:

kaz109

Established Member
Hold crap...all I have to do to beat Nitrous Vettes and TT Terminators is to mount a 50 Trim turbo on an SRT 4? I guess I have been playing with the wrong toys all these years. Damn
You would think that more people would just go that route.

Lol...yea buddy you go ahead and try that and let me know how that works out hahaha

SinisterLS2

Established Member
Cool stuff. I had a Caliber SRT4 pushing 20 out of the stock turbo (S2B though to be fair). Most of the time I ran around 18. I can vouch that the cars are HIGHLY over looked. If the aftermarket support was there, I would still be driving the Caliber. 400WHP car at 18lbs and I MAYBE spent $2,000 on it. I was running a clamped MS1K, full exhaust, K/N drop in, MPX downpipe, AGP wastegate, Bwoody check valve, AGP catch can and AGP Intercooler. To show you how much the neon is overlooked, I used injectors FROM the 2005 SRT4 since that was the only year the neon came with the Stg1 Mopars from the factory. Took down a 2010 RT Challenger with mopar intake and exhaust from a 30 roll. Put busses on it, and had a passenger that went :eek: at the time.

At the track, car would only pull high 12s. It is ridiculous torque steer, but the street...its a roll racing machine. Ah....the days of remembering what we used to have. Lots of respect for the SRT4 community. Hope another is coming.

IMG00742-20120206-1437.jpg

Last edited:

Sick03Vert

Banned
Cool stuff. I had a Caliber SRT4 pushing 20 out of the stock turbo (S2B though to be fair). Most of the time I ran around 18. I can vouch that the cars are HIGHLY over looked. If the aftermarket support was there, I would still be driving the Caliber. 400WHP car at 18lbs and I MAYBE spent $2,000 on it. I was running a clamped MS1K, full exhaust, K/N drop in, MPX downpipe, AGP wastegate, Bwoody check valve, AGP catch can and AGP Intercooler. To show you how much the neon is overlooked, I used injectors FROM the 2005 SRT4 since that was the only year the neon came with the Stg1 Mopars from the factory. Took down a 2010 RT Challenger with mopar intake and exhaust from a 30 roll. Put busses on it, and had a passenger that went :eek: at the time.

At the track, car would only pull high 12s. It is ridiculous torque steer, but the street...its a roll racing machine. Ah....the days of remembering what we used to have. Lots of respect for the SRT4 community. Hope another is coming.

Your Caliber was siiiicckkkk. I got to ride in it after all the work was done, and I can vouch for that car being ridiculously fast from a roll. The boost-limited first gear, along with atrocious torque steer, combined to make digs tough..but from a roll...that car would throw you back.

It was a nice build and surprised a lot of cars that should have squashed it..including a few Challengers and even a 2011 Coyote. Nasty for sure. Wish you could have kept it AND gotten the Corvette. That would have been awesome.

Of course, supercharged C6 FTW though. :rockon:

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
I haven't ran a SRT4 I haven't beat yet but that isn't saying much cause they have slowly disappeared around here. I have seen a handful at the track that ran in the 12's once in a blue moon some high 11's would show up.

Sick03Vert

Banned
I haven't ran a SRT4 I haven't beat yet but that isn't saying much cause they have slowly disappeared around here. I have seen a handful at the track that ran in the 12's once in a blue moon some high 11's would show up.

There's almost none left around here either. The Caliber SRT-4 was sweet because nobody knew WTH it was. I never did see another one around here, and now...I couldn't tell you the last time I saw an SRT anything that wasn't a Charger or Challenger.

SinisterLS2

Established Member
even a 2011 Coyote.

Of course, supercharged C6 FTW though. :rockon:

The vette is nicer for sure, but that Caliber was funny because NOBODY knew what it was. Even neon SRT4 guys were scratching their heads looking at it. I got called a ricer at every light since people didn't know they made a SRT4 caliber.

I remember that 5.0 though! I forgot about that. It was a stick with just an axle back, but hey, it counts! Like that C5 you killed in the Mach when you first had that. If the 5.0 would have went from a stop, he would have crushed me. Hell, if a Toyota Sienna went from a stop against it, I would lose. Also got that 2010 L99 from 40 with intake, exhaust, and a SCT tune as well. First was funny. Long whooooooo, then whooaaa, wha, wha, whaaa, ROFL. Ah memories. Oh crap. I just told a 5.0 kill story. You know what that means. Hmm, there's no smilies dodging bullets over here.....

There's almost none left around here either. The Caliber SRT-4 was sweet because nobody knew WTH it was. I never did see another one around here, and now...I couldn't tell you the last time I saw an SRT anything that wasn't a Charger or Challenger.

True. We need another. Something has to go against......THE FOCUS ST!!!!!!! YES!!!!!

Last edited:

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
My old SRT-4 was just a bolt-on stock turbo and I would pull away from bolt-on 3V's all day.

The owner was older and seemed to know his stuff. The big turbo SRT's should be around 380+whp and they weigh quite a bit less.

The main thing I wanted to do was dust the 'Vette. :banana:

As for just building a .50 trim SRT-4, have fun. I have yet to see one hold up and my simple bolt-on Neon was falling apart. Pretty tough engines, but everything else was junk.

Fox Fan

Average guy
Established Member
What is this "50 trim"? Trim is the relationship between the square of the inducer divided by the square of the exducer on the compressor. I don't understand why people refer to a turbo by it. At least compressor size gives you an idea of what kind of power the turbo can probably make. So, speaking of the "50 trim," what size turbo is it really?

I raced a 50 trim civic with a motor swap from an integra or something once. Was pretty quick for a 4-banger. It was supposedly the fastest car out at the "hole" that night besides me.

Users who are viewing this thread