Thousands of reasons to turn down a free McLaren, Enzo, Carrera GT...

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member

McLaren F1
McLaren estimates annual running costs to be $30,000. Oil changes are $8000. Owners can have their cars serviced at the factory in Woking, which employs two full-time F1 techs. (Ralph Lauren does this with his three F1s. The money from that blazer you bought goes to good use.)

Ferrari Enzo
SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE
15,000 miles: Oil change and air filters. Not bad.
30,000 miles: Spark plugs, fuel filters, and timing chain (an engine-out service—ouch).
15 years (mandatory): Seatbelt pretensioner replacement.

Porsche Carrera GT
$3,000
OIL CHANGE
Replace the trick ceramic clutch: $25,000 including labor. A full brake job—$30,000—is a steal by comparison.

Lamborghini LM002
$5,000 per tire
Pirelli recently resumed production of LM002-specific Scorpion tires, although without the early sidewall ridge for flotation in loose sand. A set of five is discounted to $15,000.​
Road & Track - Owning a supercar is just as expensive as you think

stumbled over this in the comments...
my GT has 110, 000. Routine oil change runs about $300. Belts etc every 50 k runs about $900. Never really had any thing major needing to be replaced. Rear tires last about 15,000 and are about $1,000 to replace, front tires were replaced at 80k for $500. Top level super car with relatively "normal' service costs.​

SlySy

My son watches My Little Pony???wtf
Established Member
I wonder how hard changing the oil on a McLaren F1 would be? Is it possible for somebody to do it themselves, or did they make it too hard to do or something? I know richers are gonna pay to get it done regardless, I can't picture Ralph Lauren changing oil, but what about a car guy with a kick ass car like that. I'd want to change my own oil in my uber car. idk, maybe it's just me.

Last edited:

JMoraru

Established Member
I wonder how hard changing the oil on a McLaren F1 would be? Is it possible for somebody to do it themselves, or did they make it too hard to do or something? I know richers are gonna pay to get it done regardless, I can't picture Ralph Lauren changing oil, but what about a car guy with a kick ass car like that. I'd want to change my own oil in my uber car. idk, maybe it's just me.

I agree with your point, but I think one issue with doing it yourself is someone buying a car like a McLaren F1 is probably going to want to see service records from the dealership.

I personally do my own oil changes because I trust myself more than the punks doing it at shops. I've worked on the front sales floor of one. I wouldn't even let them do my oil change.

helloWorld

Established Member
I would still take one for free, and then sell it immediately and use the money earned for other things.

Just think of how much getting a license plate on a vehicle like that would cost.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
I would drive it right till it needed service then adios at those prices. But I agree with the above, how hard can it really be to change the oil on these cars?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
That's actually better than I had thought for the Enzo.

I'm not sure what car it is, but the 20K mile service is a bottom end rebuild and it's like 25K. I think it is the 355.

oldmodman

Established Member
I have worked on a friend's Ferraris, no harder than any other car. And if you know where to get them the parts are not such a heart attack either.
Oil change in a 512BB took about an hour. Timing belt change in the 308 was an entire day but no special tools where required. Clutch change in the 308 was about ten hours with both of us working.
A lot of that time was spent removing all the SMOG crap since the cars are California.

I have spent that much cursing just changing the plugs on a Corvette.

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
some super cars/exotics dont have no oil drain plug. you have to have specialty equipment to vaccum the oil out of the engine.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Ford GT then. :)

The three cars used as examples in the OP's post are in a much more significant league compared to a Ford GT though. I honestly don't think there's a single category where the Ford GT can compete with a McLaren F1, Ferrari Enzo or Porsche Carrera GT.

I do understand what you two are getting at, and that the Ford GT was brought up in the comments at Road & Track's website, but you have to remember that someone over there is comparing a $140,000-150,000 Ford to a $970,000 McLaren, $660,000 Ferrari and a $448,000 Porsche. It should be pretty well understood that the maintenance of such a cheap car, comparatively, is going to cost much less than either of the aforementioned foreign examples. But you're also not going to get nearly as much in terms of performance, resale value, rarity/exclusivity, etc.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
The three cars used as examples in the OP's post are in a much more significant league compared to a Ford GT though. I honestly don't think there's a single category where the Ford GT can compete with a McLaren F1, Ferrari Enzo or Porsche Carrera GT.

I do understand what you two are getting at, and that the Ford GT was brought up in the comments at Road & Track's website, but you have to remember that someone over there is comparing a $140,000-150,000 Ford to a $970,000 McLaren, $660,000 Ferrari and a $448,000 Porsche. It should be pretty well understood that the maintenance of such a cheap car, comparatively, is going to cost much less than either of the aforementioned foreign examples. But you're also not going to get nearly as much in terms of performance, resale value, rarity/exclusivity, etc.
And, your point is?

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Then, of course, there is the Veyron...

"There are frightening bills, horrific bills, and Bugatti Veyron bills. The legendarily expensive to buy, it seems that the Veyron is equally expensive to keep running, with some pegging yearly running costs at $300,000. It's so expensive, in fact, that Autocar says there's an owner who trailers his car to a particular driving route, then follows behind in a private jet.

Let's just take the tires, for example: in the U.S., the Michelin Pilot Sport 2s fashioned with the Veyron's unique compound cost about $30,000; in the UK they're £23,500 ($38,216 U.S.). Bugatti recommends you change them every 4,000 kilometers, or 2,500 miles, and at every ten thousand miles the company recommends changing the wheels and tires, which runs north of $50,000.

In between those wheel changes will be things like routine maintenance, with a major annual service setting you back about $20,000. None of this is particularly unexpected so long as you remember the Veyron is more a roadgoing Space Shuttle than a car. And we won't even begin to talk about how expensive pelican insurance has become..." :)

Source: http://www.dfwautoclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3423

Kiohtee

Established Member
And, your point is?

That I don't fully understand why here or elsewhere a Ford GT is being brought into this comparison. Other than this is a Ford-based website. But that's never clogged the clarity of SVTPerformance...

Kevins89notch

Established Member

A low mile Heritage Edition GT will bring half a million if I heard correctly. A normal GT is 250K+.

Kiohtee

Established Member
A low mile Heritage Edition GT will bring half a million if I heard correctly. A normal GT is 250K+.

What's your point?

You won't find a $970K F1, $660K Enzo or $448K Carrera GT. I was using their MSRPs when originally released. All three of which were released before or on time with the Ford GT. ;-)

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I dont think anyone who buys a million+ dollar car is going to be doing any oil changes or brake jobs on said car.

Users who are viewing this thread