Thoughts - to sunroof or not sunroof?

93 Teal/Black more desirable with or without sunroof?

• Without a sunroof - keep that roof in one piece ... please!

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • With a sunroof - let the summer in!

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Opinions needed: is a teal/black with a sunroof more or less desirable than a teal/black without a sunroof? I personally am not a huge fan because of the potential issues but I understand it may be more collectable. TIA :beer:

Last edited:

BrettT 93|03

93 & 03 Cobra Venom
Established Member
You planning on getting another one? Cool:beer:

As far as the sunroof goes. I really don't think it's going to make to much of a differance. However, if you didn't already know. There is only (74) out of the 185 Teal/blk cars made that have a SUNROOF. So, it may be more attractive for a person like me who really did desire in having the option of a sunroof. Like for instance, your previous teal blk. It was a stretch for me financially. But, if it had a sunroof. I would of probably of found a way to make it work out.

I think when it come down to a collector and these car. It's really going to be based on miles, over condtion, and documentation to go along with the car.

Last edited:

WillyB93

Established Member
I am going to say no, since I have one without. I just want another with some different options that is why I am shooting for one with a roof for the next one. X2 with what brett said.

1slohawk

Established Member
I wish my car didn't have a sunroof. I would have been willing to pay more for a car without a sunroof. I never open it, one more thing to go wrong, and The roof looks cleaner without one. That's just my opinion.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
You planning on getting another one? Cool:beer:

You never know :burnout: I came across one with a sunroof recently but I'm hesitating to pull the trigger because of it. At car shows, people would always say "if it only had a sunroof" about my prior teal/blk. I started to wonder if there was something wrong with me since I actually wanted a Cobra w/o a sunroof option. I'll probably just hold out a bit longer and search for a very low mileage teal/black w/o sunroof. I have my hands full with the GT right now anyways.

red95gts

Established Member
I specifically wanted one without a sunroof just to avoid the potential hassles. I love these cars as much as the rest of us, but let's not forget it's an 80's Ford. :)

fivestangs

Established Member
I wish my car didn't have a sunroof. I would have been willing to pay more for a car without a sunroof. I never open it, one more thing to go wrong, and The roof looks cleaner without one. That's just my opinion.

+1

black car + black interior + sunroof = OVEN

I finally got smart last year (yes, it took me this long...) and bought a roll of limo tint for $10 from the autozone and I tinted the sunroof glass (which helped tremendously, although it rendered the sunroof pretty useless since you can't see out of it now).

psucobra

Established Member
I voted no. I had two different 93's with sunroof and two without, and i definately prefer without. The headliner is much nicer in non-roof cars These cars have a timeless look about them, but the one thing that looks dated is the sunroof. Personally, I think they look a little korny on this car.

S

snakeplisskin93

I'd go for a roof car. I've had verts and hardtops, but never a T-top or sunroof.

buddha93

Established Member
I've always like the sunroof in these cars, so long as it was a factory optioned one. As far as issues, I've never had any on any of my sunroof cars.

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
so long as it was a factory optioned one.

I guess it would be kind of taboo to add one wouldn’t it. I personally love having the open roof but settled for a car without one. I’d love to add a power roof to my car but just cant bring myself to cutting into the car like that.

buddha93

Established Member
Back when the cars were new, lots of guys did. There were only one or two aftermarket ones that looked decent. The rest were junk.

I'll never forget a local had a brand new black LX that he barely drove and he put in one of those little crappy flip-up ones in the car. Totally looked like ass.

BrettT 93|03

93 & 03 Cobra Venom
Established Member
I think ford did a good job with the design of the oem sunroof for the fox body. Like the way it sits level with the roof skin. It always seemed that any aftermarket sunroof on a fox body look like crap. Due to the outter rim of the glass with that metal frame work sitting above the roof skin. Now, there may be a better aftermarket sunroof available. Just havnt seen one yet.

Now, I think any sunroof in a SN95 mustang looks like crap. I couldn't imagine a sunroof in my termi. Something with the way the front of the roof is facing forward visually. U tend to see the sunroof itself to much. It takes away from the clean roof lines.

rolltide93

Established Member
It's all about personal preference. Some people buy them because they are more rare or like the open top, and some people like me think it dates them tremendously and makes it look like a total 80's car. I don't know if it would stop me though if I found a really nice black on black car though.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
If you wish to maintain ANY collectability of your car, then DO NOT put a hole in the roof.

IMO, a true collector is going to be looking for originality as part of "condition" of the car. Yes, a roof can be repaired just like everything else, but it adds to the cost of restoration and may reduce the price a collector is willing to pay, or even reduce the number of potential buyers.

Personally, I've looked at a few Teal sunroof cars and will only consider one with a factory sunroof. As it is, most folks have modded the he11 out of their engines / exhaust / whatever, which rules out alot of cars for me.

Now, on the flip side; it is YOUR car. If you want a sunroof, start chopping! ...on the other hand, why not just buy a 5L convertible if you want air?

I had a sunroof in mine, and to tell the truth the only time I closed the sunroof was when I parked it for the night. Rain or shine, I had it open. The only time water would get in it is if it was parked and the wind drove the rain in from behind. I think that happened twice in 9 years :)

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Mike b svt:

I agree with you 100% which is why I have reservations with the idea of cutting into the car. With that being said, my car without a doubt falls into the “modded the hell out of” category and has lost that pristine collector aspect. I purchased the car modded with big plans to do an LS7 440 stroker swap but have since decided agents this (maybe in the future). I personally try to mod my cars tastefully with quality parts with the hopes that if I do sale it’ll be more attractive then the run of the mill modded cobra (there's a market for everything could just talke longer to sell).

…as sacrilegious as I am in wanting to slap a chevy motor in my cobra I still have a problem with the idea of cutting into the roof – but I reeeally want sunroof. I should have stuck to my guns and waited for the teal/black/sunroof I was dead set on owning...my impulses get the best of me sometimes.

Incase you cant tell – I voted for the sunroof :)

Last edited:

WillyB93

Established Member
The other bad thing about making a non- sunroof car a sunroof car. The factory roof isn't built up enough to handle the extra weight of the sun roof. My red car had a power slide sunroof, the roof had sagging spots where it was too heavy plus I think it made the car flex more!

92whitestang

Established Member
I had about the worst case scenario with a s/r happen to me. Cliff notes:

Was driving to work one morning doing about 45mph and the sunroof flew off (L braces rusted and I was not aware). Slightly damaged the roof in rear of sunroof (as the glass raised the hinges in the back stayed in tact for a second and pulled the metal). Luckily no one was behind me. Sunroof shattered and the roof was not repairable. Luckily it was so minor it wasnt very noticeable.

So I began the search for a replacement. NO ONE has them. Luckily I had two Mustangs so I was able to wait until one became available on ebay. I ended up buying one in okay condition for $250 and then restoring it with new hardware and refinishing it. It was actually a fun project.

I'll never forget driving back home with the big hole in the roof.

Short answer - I will never have one again and wouldnt recommend one to anyone. They seem cool but arent worth it

PS - It leaked at one point as well but that wasnt a hard fix.

delvin.a

Established Member
I used to take my roof off all the time when I had one.

I was told by a window tint place not to tint the roof because the heat he's trapped in between the two layers of tint and it'll shatter the glass, who knows ?

Users who are viewing this thread