Thoughts on VW?

OrangeCobra2004

Established Member
Looking at getting rid of my 2011 fiesta and picking up a new DD. I've been looking at and test drove a 2008 VW R32. I pretty much love the car. Does anyone have any experience with these or know of common problems?

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Personally I owned a 01 jetta. It ran good, had all kinds of weird electrical issues. I would keep the fiesta if it were me. I know a chick that has a 05 and just loves it. She hasn't had any problems that I know of and it has to have 60-80k on it.

Ironhand

Banned
As stated above. VWs are decent but can run into some odd problems. They also are expensive to fix when they do break and usually require an actual mechanic to fix. They are alittle over engineered in some places and certain cars have tranny issues.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
As stated above. VWs are decent but can run into some odd problems. They also are expensive to fix when they do break and usually require an actual mechanic to fix. They are alittle over engineered in some places and certain cars have tranny issues.

My dash went crazy out of the blue one day. Every light in the dash just randomly came on. I spent 1200 to fix it, and this was not something I could do. It was a vw mechanic fix only. I sold it shortly afterwards.

6.0GTO

Established Member
You are going to get everything from they are junk to never had a problem. Most of the problem models where built outside Germany. The R32 is German built though and the engine has all been sorted out. Proper upkeep and maintenance goes a long way in keeping a VW out of shop. They are just like any other vehicle. There are tons of things you can take care or your self if you are willing to learn the systems.

The GTO has been my first car outside of the VW group. Five VW's and a few 914 track cars. Poke around over at vwvortex.com. I know what I would pick. A Focus and R32 are not even in the same league when it comes to capabilities and fun to drive factor. Plus you get snow there and an R32 with snow tires is a very good snow car.

mckpat03

Diesel FTW
Established Member
I've been eyeing up the MKV R32 for quite some time. I'd like to get into one eventually.

My brother has a Touareg and its pretty much flawless. Like was said, proper maintenance and care will go a long way.

Users who are viewing this thread