Thoughts on this 2012 GT Prem build

ncarter124

Established Member
Ok, I am about to pull the trigger on ordering a 2012 GT and thought I would see if I was quoted a decent price.

I called my local dealer here in NW Tampa and even though they said they didn't have 2012 pricing yet... :??: they priced the following:

2012 Mustang GT Premium
6-speed manual
RapidSpec 401a
Brembo Package
Electronics Package
3.73's
Rear View Camera

They said MSRP for this was $38,960 (confirmed this on Ford's website) and that they would sell for $36,960. He said invoice was $36,2xx (can't remember exactly). He then added that if somebody else quoted $500 over invoice they would match that so we'll say $36,8xx without any applicable rebates considered.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has spec'ed one similar or not or if this is a good price or not. I'm hoping to order in a couple weeks.

Thanks! :beer:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
sounds like a good deal, i paid 36,800 for my gt/cs and its fully loaded, just doesn't have nav, hids, or the Brembo Package, and i can live without those 3 things

h34d

Back In The Saddle
Established Member
USAA "new car buying service" pricing for zip code 33615:

-401a with most colors and all options listed is $36054
-red candy is $36398
-yellow tri-coat is $36485

I think it's a little lower through X-plan. It might be worth the membership dues for Mustang Club of America ($50 I think...).

Last edited:

03dsgdreams

Established Member
There's a couple 2012s on the local dealer lot by were I live. Premium, HID'S, comfort package, security package, brembo's and 3.73s. A red one and a black one.

h34d

Back In The Saddle
Established Member
Just to clarify: from the numbers I pulled from USAA I would call your dealer a liar with the 362xx invoice price. I seriously doubt that USAA would quote below invoice for their USAA certified dealers (or whatever they're called). There's no money in that for them...

Take my advice and find out what Xplan is from someone other than the dealer (i.e. Mustang Club of America) and then make the dealer take any incentives off of the Xplan price. My guess is around $35000 for Xplan.

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
Ok, I am about to pull the trigger on ordering a 2012 GT and thought I would see if I was quoted a decent price.

I called my local dealer here in NW Tampa and even though they said they didn't have 2012 pricing yet... :??: they priced the following:

2012 Mustang GT Premium
6-speed manual
RapidSpec 401a
Brembo Package
Electronics Package
3.73's
Rear View Camera

They said MSRP for this was $38,960 (confirmed this on Ford's website) and that they would sell for $36,960. He said invoice was $36,2xx (can't remember exactly). He then added that if somebody else quoted $500 over invoice they would match that so we'll say $36,8xx without any applicable rebates considered.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has spec'ed one similar or not or if this is a good price or not. I'm hoping to order in a couple weeks.

Thanks! :beer:

Join the Mustang Club of America. It costs $50 and it gives you access to Ford X-Plan (plus you get a magazine every month). You will generally pay $200 or so over invoice with X-Plan. It also limits the fees the Dealer can charge.

I used X-Plan for my 2011.

ncarter124

Established Member
sounds like a good deal, i paid 36,800 for my gt/cs and its fully loaded, just doesn't have nav, hids, or the Brembo Package, and i can live without those 3 things

Thanks. I am on the fence with the Brembo Package but figured I'd go for it.

USAA "new car buying service" pricing for zip code 33615:

-401a with most colors and all options listed is $36054
-red candy is $36398
-yellow tri-coat is $36485

I think it's a little lower through X-plan. It might be worth the membership dues for Mustang Club of America ($50 I think...).

I'll check into it for sure. Thanks! :beer:

Just to clarify: from the numbers I pulled from USAA I would call your dealer a liar with the 362xx invoice price. I seriously doubt that USAA would quote below invoice for their USAA certified dealers (or whatever they're called). There's no money in that for them...

Take my advice and find out what Xplan is from someone other than the dealer (i.e. Mustang Club of America) and then make the dealer take any incentives off of the Xplan price. My guess is around $35000 for Xplan.

I called shenanigans on his invoice price, didn't say it but I suspected it wasn't right. I got him down to $36,401 with the X-Plan PIN but I still think I might be able to do better. I'm checking car buying services now and am about to join the Mustang Club of America.

Invoice is $35718. That is what I would offer them as they are still making money on the holdback. X-plan will be just a little above invoice.

2012 Ford Mustang Optional Equipment, Pricing and Information - NADAguides.com

Yup sure enough, I'll offer that to a couple dealers and see if they bite.

There are dealers in the Northeast offering $500 under invoice

Man I'd love to find one in Florida that would.

Join the Mustang Club of America. It costs $50 and it gives you access to Ford X-Plan (plus you get a magazine every month). You will generally pay $200 or so over invoice with X-Plan. It also limits the fees the Dealer can charge.

I used X-Plan for my 2011.

I think that is a very good plan. For some reason based on what this dealer told me both USAA and Costco car buying services beat the X-Plan by a decent chunk. I'm awaiting another dealer to write me back (I'll call tomorrow if he doesn't) to see what he says.

ncarter124

Established Member

Also on this, do you have to be in the military to use USAA? I assume so but wasn't sure.

h34d

Back In The Saddle
Established Member
Also on this, do you have to be in the military to use USAA? I assume so but wasn't sure.

That used to be the case but they changed to allow children of service members and veterans/retirees to become members (or something like that) a year or so ago.

I do love their insurance but I'm pretty sure X-plan is a slightly better deal than USAA so I wouldn't sweat it if they give you the cold shoulder.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
There are dealers in the Northeast offering $500 under invoice

Where abouts?? Im looking to buy one soon similar to the OP's(Premium, 6spd, Brembo package, 3.73's and Electronics package). SO far Ive been to Metro Ford in upstate..

pdonket

Established Member
Usually you should be aiming for invoice or lower. Most dealers will play nice if you show them you know you deserve a good price, you've visited multiple dealers, and you plan on playing them off of each other.

It's all about knowing how to play the game. Also a good website to find out true invoice on is True Car

ncarter124

Established Member
That used to be the case but they changed to allow children of service members and veterans/retirees to become members (or something like that) a year or so ago.

I do love their insurance but I'm pretty sure X-plan is a slightly better deal than USAA so I wouldn't sweat it if they give you the cold shoulder.
Damn, I still wouldn't qualify, I checked Geico and they exactly match USAA but then of course the dealers have doc fees so X-Plan is still better in my case.

Usually you should be aiming for invoice or lower. Most dealers will play nice if you show them you know you deserve a good price, you've visited multiple dealers, and you plan on playing them off of each other.

It's all about knowing how to play the game. Also a good website to find out true invoice on is True Car

Yeah I'm trying this exact approach with 3-4 dealers right now and aiming for Invoice.

PERFECT. I'm going to use this ammo for sure. :beer:

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
The following dealers offered me $500 under invoice on an '11 or if I ordered a '12
Orleans Ford
Performance Ford
Chapman Ford

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
Anybody know if they are planning on offering any incentives on the 12's? Rebates or cash back? They had 2500 back on the 11's, but I can't find anything on the 12's.

-Ant

SilverStallion

Attn To Detail
Established Member
I just ordered my 2012 this week and received:
$3000.00 Delivery Credit
$1000.00 Accessory Credit

These were over and above the best price I negotiated with the dealer.

I went with:
Premium
HID
Brembo
Glass Roof
GT Accessory #4 - Scoop and Spoiler

I hope this helps.

~Darren

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
What is a delivery credit and how you you get it? I'm fully prepared to order my 12' gt but I don't want to shortchange myself. I'll wait if I can score up some extra discounts.

-Ant

Users who are viewing this thread