Thoughts on Rear Projection LCD 1080P's

T.Bone

Established Member
I am looking to purchase a new big screen, here are the 2 that I am leaning towards at the moment.

Whats your thoughts?

SAMSUNG
HLS5687W
56" 1080p HDTV DLP Pjtv with Built-in HDTV tuner
http://www.abcwarehouse.com/product_catalog/pc_proddetails.asp~assort_id~1299~prod_ID~24137

MITSUBISHI MEDALLION
WD57732
57" 1080p DLP HDTV Pjtv with Built in hdtv/cablecard
http://www.abcwarehouse.com/product_catalog/pc_proddetails.asp~assort_id~1299~prod_ID~24539

I am thinking about going with the Samsung, but I really like some of the options that are the Mitsubishi.

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
with dlp, you'll end up replacing the bulb every couple of years at $200 - $400 a crack

T.Bone

Established Member
That is a possible cost after 60,000 hours of use, but with the plasma you would have to replace the whole screen. I heard the life span on them is not that great either.

I currently have a 54" Sony XBR rear projection set, I have never had to replace a build yet. I have had the set now for 8 years.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
I didn't see the cost vs performance difference when I was shopping in the fall. I got a HP 42" plasma and a Samsung 50" dlp (basment gamer tube) in 7xx whatever. The plasma is my favorite. Both look like shit (worse than 27" glass tube) with anything but HD or DVD input though.

Xbox360 and HD Cable on both is stunning. :bowdown:

My collection of VHS war movies looks pretty rough. :loser:

Not sure if 1080 is worth the extra jack over 7xx. :shrug:

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
I have a 1080p 65" Mitshbishi HDTV with a HD Comcast box. I agree with Postban. HD/games are awesome. It is almost difficult to watch analog broadcasted channels because you see individual pixals, better off with an old school TV. DVDs look great as well. I have not had one problem with my TV, I would buy another Mitshibishi product.

Last edited:

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Costco is you're friend, no need to buy any extra warranty. You can return it for exchange or full refund if anything goes wrong even if it's 5 yrs. down the road. They have a pretty good selection of plasmas, dlp's, and lcd,s. I don't think plasma's suffer as much from burn in like they used to.

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
Tim, I bought the HL-S5087W about 2 months ago. Its an awesome TV. If your into any gaming or plan on watching movies that are actually HD then I would go for the 1080p... if not then its not worth the extra money unless you plan on keeping the TV for 5 years or so. The only issue I have is that my comcast box does not "auto switch" for the input signal. You have to find a happy medium for your hd output. I have mine set to 720p because most tv programming is in 720p. For analog stations I have the over ride off so it shows with black bars on the side. I can't stand a stretched image, but some people like it. I currently use my xbox 360 as a dvd player and I have the HD-DVD attachment. They both look amazing. The TV has plenty of inputs on the back, plus a USB hook up for your computer or jump drives for picture shows. The series 8 sammy's are great tv's the LCD's do have a little bit better picture, but I can't afford one of those...

As far as the bulbs go... I purchased a warranty for fine because the guy claimed it covered as many bulb changes as needed, even if it was 5 in a year. I had a samsung repair guy come out to adjust the center of my screen and I was talking to him about bulbs because my mom has a problematic toshiba... the thing eats bulbs in like 2 months. He says the bulbs are hit or miss, they could last a month, or they could last 2 years.

Jpjr

Established Member
I went with a 32" Samsung LCD. The picture is perfect, and the price was significantly less than the Sharp Aquos, the best in the business. I can't notice any difference. The Samsung I own is a better TV than the Sony I was considering as well.

As far as what TV to buy, you really have to come to grips with where you stand as an Audiophile. Believe me, having a flat screen has many more perks than picture quality. The TV is light for starters, light enough that you can hang it or easily move it unlike a tube. Plasma is perfect for long distance viewing where picture clarity comes second to arena feel or command seating. If your looking to entertain a crowd, always go for the 50" plasma over the comparably priced 36" LCD.

That said, there is no comparison in picture quality. The LCD is the better picture, and longer lasting TV.

T.Bone

Established Member
Thanks for the information guys, I plan on hooking up the 360 and a PC DVR to record over the air HD programming. I will check out Costco before buying anywhere, I heard they were a good place to buy electronics.

utfan98, do you have the standard broadcast streched or are you watching it with sidebars? I was leaning torwards the Mitshi, but if it doesn't convert standard broadcast well then I am not sure about going that route.

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
1080 rocks all the way!
Standard programing sucks.

All TV broadcast were supposed to be 720/1080 min by last Feb, And 1080 by years end.
Although it's not going to happen yet it will be the standard.
Find a TV in your budget and stick with it.
It's like buying a computer. the day you buy it it's already old technology.
The conversion chips are getting better and better.
Just make sure the TV has multiple HDMI inputs you'll need them in the future.

JP

SteveChris

Established Member
i dont know what you plan to do exactlly but you might be overpaying for things you sdont need. do you need built in hdtv? or are you getting it from cable? do you need two hdmi inputs (if you have a surround system that uses it and the hd cable then thats a great feature)
1080p is a nice bragging right but not many things really output that, i think xbox360 just updated to support it but i doubt any games support it. dvd's can be converted up but they still arent natively close to 1080p.
1080i could be exactlly the same to you.
just spend time in the beginning and you'll make life easier. i bought mine fast but thankfully it has everything i need, i have the sony 51inch rear projection. i really like the build quality of sony, other tvs just looked like they were put together poorly.
but when it came to my surround system i did it right and researched for weeks. figured out i'd need hdmi output, optical input (for the 360), and etc. went with the sony dvd dream system, GREAT addition to the 360

T.Bone

Established Member
I agree with JP, it's like buying a computer. I just want to make sure what I buy now is still decent in 2-3 years. I know there is not much support for the 1080p now, but I don't want a 720p set and then a year down the road say #$#@ I should have....

I plan on keeping this thing a while, like I said above my current 54" Sony XBR is 8 years old and still working good. I purchased it for about the same price as either of these are going to cost.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Tim, I was at my neighbor's house Sat. night. He has a Mitsubishi 72" LCD tv. We watched the tv from 40 ft away standing around the bar. We were watching hockey in HD. The picture was incredible. The definition and clarity was awesome even from that distance. It was a 1080 pixel set also. Costco seems to have a decent selection every time I go there.

Black1999Cobra

Rollin' with the top down
Established Member
T-Bone said:

This is the one I have. I have played PS3 on it...and it is sweet...the detail is amazing. I have watched many a HD channels (including HBO on demand) and it looks great. I picked mine up for $1799 from circuit city before christmas. As other have said, everything isnt to 1080 yet, but I wanted the TV to still be good in 2-3 years and not saying "Shit, everything is going to 1080, and I only have 720"...especially on a big screen that your spending some good $$ on.

People say the 1080 looks like crap compared to the older TV's...thats b/c their older tv's that they are comparing it to are much smaller. With regular TV it doesnt look the best, but I dont think its really that bad at all.

terminator04

Director Choice 1st place
Established Member
i just bought the new LCD Sharp Aquos 46 inch 1080P..has the best picture i saw at best buy. The only thing in 1080P right now is BlueRay and the dvd player is going for about 800 bucks unless you get PS3. I wouldnt buy plasma because they will not be making it anymore in the next few years i have been told by a electronics expert (my dad). there isnt that much of a different from 720P and 1080P. not worth the extra money if you ask me unless you want it that bad. good luck with your purchase

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
T-Bone said:
utfan98, do you have the standard broadcast streched or are you watching it with sidebars? I was leaning torwards the Mitshi, but if it doesn't convert standard broadcast well then I am not sure about going that route.

Standard broadcast stretch mostly, the Comcast cable box gives you the picture. I believe if a a HD station is not broadcasted in HD it gives you the bars to provided a narrowed picture for better quality. To be honest, I watch HD 95% of the time. I may watch Speed Vision or CNN in analog.

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
The problem is hardly anything is in 1080p right now. The hold up over the past couple years have been because there is an arguement that 720p was better then 1080i. This was because of the progressive format rather then the interlaced. Even Microsoft was a huge believer of this, and thats why the 360 was native set to 720p originally. This was also why you rarely seen a 1080i native tv. Plus there really wasn't much in HD besides cable and game consoles. Upconverting dvd players just converted the 480i to a 720p or 480p signal... whats the point of stretching to a 720 res from 480? It looks like trash... now with the edition of actual HD dvd formats and the progessing gaming industry... look for a lot of things to turn to HD formats and things to progress much faster then what they have in the past. Cable companies can't wait to get rid of analog channels, it just whores up bandwidth.

I think most of the time people come on the net and bash other peoples opions or bash a product because they don't fully understand HD... its just like those warning stickers on lawn mowers, on the mowing deck, with the hand going into the blade with the cross thru it. Some people need that sticker or they might actually put their hand there... not saying anybody in here needs that sticker, all the info so far in this thread has been good. You just gotta be careful what you read on the net.

This was a very helpful asticle by microsoft http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/accessories/20061003-hddvd.htm

Users who are viewing this thread