Thoughts on paint quality.

03blackvert

Established Member
In looking through my shop manual today (from Helm) I noticed the following. Page 100-01-5, right in the begining lists the paint codes:

B7 - Zinc Yellow (clear coat)
CX - Dark Shadow Grey Metallic
D3 - Colorado red (clear coat)
G2 - Redfire (water based) clear coat
L2 - True Blue (water based) clear coat
L5 - Azure Blue (water based) clear coat (Mach One only)
SN - Sonic Blue (water based) clear coat
SU - Amazon Green (water based) clear coat
UA - Ebony (clear coat)
YN - Silver Metallic (water based) clear coat
Z1 - Oxford White (clear coat)

My question is, are all the people with paint quality issues in colors that say "water based"? :shrug:

I'm a UA, with no issues. :burnout:

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
I think the paint issue is directed more at the fact that Ford painted these cars THIN. At least they did mine. :( But, i could be wrong.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Mine looks ok but this may sound stupid? How do you know they painted it thin?

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I have my first chip in the lip of the hood. Paint although thin and orange peely looks good. 2 coats of wax so far.

03blackvert

Established Member
The only even remote issue I've found on my UA is that on the right side of the trunk lid, right under the ford logo, there are three "bubbles" at the bottom of the lid...that is looks like they put on too much paint and it dripped at the bottom of the trunk lid.

Believe me, after going over the car a total of 9 times (3 clean + 6 zaino) I've checked for every possible defect on every possible surface. That plus a couple of scratches I've taken care of were the only issues.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I agree. Worst Orange Peel of any manufacturer I've ever seen.
My wifes Black Honda when Zaino'd looks much sharper....

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I have a '92 Taurus beater and an '03 Cobra with the same paint code (Silver Metallic). The '92 still looks good and with 105,000 has minimal chips on the hood. The Cobra, painted with water base paint, is already starting to pick up chips (1,350 miles). I would say they haven't quite got the water based technology up to the older VOC-based (volatile organic compounds) paints.

Dem03SonicSnake

Established Member
horrible horrible paint, i know its been discussed too many times but it sucks everytime u wash your car and u see another scratch or chip, 3,000 miles and my car looks like its been driven for 20,000, nj streets do suck but it shouldnt get that bad my whole bottom rocker panel and side scoops are completely filled with little white nics, disgusting! hey i love the car no complaints, but the paint quality should be a little better, can u actually complain to ford , warranty wise? my side scoops are so loose too!

Users who are viewing this thread