Thoughts on methanol injection?

J_verrett5oh

Established Member
Thinking about adding meth to my 2011 kenne bell mustang 5.0 . I'm not to familiar with meth and just looking to get some input . I also have a killer chiller on my car

BrianH87

Established Member
I honestly don't hear much about it on here. It seems like most guys just go with E85 instead. My opinion is its a great option if you don't want to run E85 or race fuel. Just make sure you get a kit with all the applicable safeties and a good tune.

PapaSmurf03

SLO SNK
Established Member
Id advise against it with a kenne bell or whipple. If it was a centrifugal or turbo than yes. You would have to spray it before the blower and the intercooler so it looses its atomization and you wont really get any benefit from it. Learned the hard way. Had it on my 03 Cobra and it did help with IAT but even after tuning for it i actually lost power. My buddy had a YSI on his mustang and he gained a good amount of power from it. Same tuner.

Id go E85 if its available near you if your looking for the added octane. If you are just looking for the cooling affect of it the killer chiller will do just fine.

prn1972

Established Member
Id advise against it with a kenne bell or whipple. If it was a centrifugal or turbo than yes. You would have to spray it before the blower and the intercooler so it looses its atomization and you wont really get any benefit from it. Learned the hard way. Had it on my 03 Cobra and it did help with IAT but even after tuning for it i actually lost power. My buddy had a YSI on his mustang and he gained a good amount of power from it. Same tuner.

Id go E85 if its available near you if your looking for the added octane. If you are just looking for the cooling affect of it the killer chiller will do just fine.
^^^ This is wrong. Meth injection can work well with any F.I. setup. If you lost power you were spraying too much. That is the first sign your spraying too much. And you do not have to spray it before the blower. But it will work either way. There are plenty of GT500, 03/04 Cobra's running it pre blower & it works well.
First you need a good kit. Such as Alkycontrol.com. And a tuner that knows how to set it up & tune it. Meth & pump gas is a very cheap alterative to running race gas. It cools the intake charge & adds octane. But I would run e85 if I could.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
If you were spraying a mix of water and methanol and lost power that would make sense. The water is supposed to act as a chemical intercooler, but any water that doesnt get burned off makes its way into the combustion chamber. In doing so, the water is displacing either air or fuel in the cylinder, and thus has a negative impact on power. As a whole though, methanol injection is a highly successful option, though all of my experience is with turbos, so i'll admit i have no direct experience with a PD supercharger.

Thalilbear02

Established Member

On the same boat as this guy. Centri's, go for it, but twin screws no. In most instances I prefer Methanol than E85 just because it's impossible to find local to me primarily, but for twin screws I would go with the E85 route if you've got any local places to you that carry it.

PapaSmurf03

SLO SNK
Established Member
Just going off personal experience and after I had the issue started reading lots of other guys were having the same results. I was running a snow performance Kit with there pre mixed 50/50 and started off with the recommended nozzle and we actually switched nozzles during tuning and still had the issue. Also the tuner was familair with tuning for meth and an extremely good tuner specializing in mustangs. But by all means spend the money on a meth kit and tune and see if it works for you if that's what you want. I would still recommend E85 though.

prn1972

Established Member
Just going off personal experience and after I had the issue started reading lots of other guys were having the same results. I was running a snow performance Kit with there pre mixed 50/50 and started off with the recommended nozzle and we actually switched nozzles during tuning and still had the issue. Also the tuner was familair with tuning for meth and an extremely good tuner specializing in mustangs. But by all means spend the money on a meth kit and tune and see if it works for you if that's what you want. I would still recommend E85 though.
First problem - Snow Performance.... cheap kit, any kit that can't run 100% meth is cheap made. Snow's parts/pumps are known to go bad all the time. I wouldn't use a 50/50 mix unless its use for just cooling. 100% methanol cools & increase octane.
Use a quality kit that is made to use 100% meth such as Alkycontrol. He will custom make the kit for whatever you need. And will help you & your tuner with everything.
I would use e85 also but some of us don't have it available.

Last edited:

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I run an AIS dual nozzle trunk mount kit on my car. I use 100% vp m5 methanol to cool down the IAT's on a wastegated procharger setup. I dont have any dyno numbers or gains as i changed a few things at the same time.

My only complaint is i had a clamp break where the pump feed line is and it dumped 3 gallons of meth in the spare tire well.

Voltwings

Established Member
First problem - Snow Performance.... cheap kit, any kit that can't run 100% meth is cheap made. Snow's parts/pumps are known to go bad all the time. I wouldn't use a 50/50 mix unless its use for just cooling. 100% methanol cools & increase octane.
Use a quality kit that is made to use 100% meth such as Alkycontrol. He will custom make the kit for whatever you need. And will help you & your tuner with everything.
I would use e85 also but some of us don't have it available.

I have done tons of testing over the years, granted like i said; this was on turbo cars, but we found that 100% methanol did not give the best results. We ran 50/50 (remember, you mix by weight, not volume) water / meth, all the way up to 100% methanol and compared Air temps, boost, and power production. What we found was that at 80% methanol and 20% water we got the best power and cooling.

Methanol has a latent heat of about 1085 KJ/kg, and water is 2260 kj/kg. This means water can absorb ~2x as much heat before vaporizing, and makes it much better at taking heat out of the system. I know you said you would not run water unless it was for cooling, but that's exactly my point; if you allow water to act as a chemical intercoolant to take that heat out of the system, more methanol (and thus, octane) can make its way to the cylinder.

Again, could be completely different on a PD blower, but those were our results at least.

prn1972

Established Member
I have done tons of testing over the years, granted like i said; this was on turbo cars, but we found that 100% methanol did not give the best results. We ran 50/50 (remember, you mix by weight, not volume) water / meth, all the way up to 100% methanol and compared Air temps, boost, and power production. What we found was that at 80% methanol and 20% water we got the best power and cooling.

Methanol has a latent heat of about 1085 KJ/kg, and water is 2260 kj/kg. This means water can absorb ~2x as much heat before vaporizing, and makes it much better at taking heat out of the system. I know you said you would not run water unless it was for cooling, but that's exactly my point; if you allow water to act as a chemical intercoolant to take that heat out of the system, more methanol (and thus, octane) can make its way to the cylinder.

Again, could be completely different on a PD blower, but those were our results at least.
This topic is a endless debate...I prefer 100% meth. If it just for cooling I would use water/meth mix. If you need octane the water is just taking up space that the fuel could be in. And meth cools also....Not saying anyone is wrong or right

prn1972

Established Member
I run an AIS dual nozzle trunk mount kit on my car. I use 100% vp m5 methanol to cool down the IAT's on a wastegated procharger setup. I dont have any dyno numbers or gains as i changed a few things at the same time.

My only complaint is i had a clamp break where the pump feed line is and it dumped 3 gallons of meth in the spare tire well.
Only heard good things about AIS kits.

Voltwings

Established Member
^^ i bought a used AIS kit that was 5+ years old and you'd never know, those kits are nice. I agree, its an endless debate, and we spent wwwaaayyy more time playing with our water / meth mix than any sane person would care to lol so i'll meet you in the middle on that.

Buster

Established Member
i run both methanol injection and E85. I've made hundreds of 8 second passes without a single failure running as much as 40 PSI on a 3v 4.6L. I would recommend it on any FI application. The motor thats in my car has been in there for 8 years running methanol plus 91 octane with a KB 2.8L for 5 of those years.

D98GT

Established Member
So I purchased a kit before even contacting my tuner about it so we'll see what Triangle Speed Shop tells me as I don't believe I am ready to make the swap to E85 yet.

SCalla1384

Established Member
If you put meth on, and nothing else, yes you will lose power. It's not exactly spraying to much, meth richens up the AFR. In my case on my old 2v, it richened up the AFR 0.5. You need a tune.

That was one of my favorite mods on my old 2v. Cooled the IATs big time. After a pull, I'd be about 10° below ambient on 80° days. Bumped timing from 13° to 17° and picked up about 35whp, safely with a nice rich tune.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Also I used AIS, great kit. I ran a 70% meth to 30% water mix, seemed to work great. My understanding is, water is used to cool IATs. Meth is used for added octane.

Buster

Established Member
Also I used AIS, great kit. I ran a 70% meth to 30% water mix, seemed to work great. My understanding is, water is used to cool IATs. Meth is used for added octane.

100% methanol works best for cooling and octane. If water had any good use we could just pour 30% in our gas tank. The problem with water is it doesn't burn, it does cool, but methanol does both.

Users who are viewing this thread