Thoughts on how far to take a mostly original Cobra??

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
My 93 teal is mostly original - only mods include exhaust, MGW shifter and 3:73 gears. It has around 59K miles but it is in excellent (showroom) condition (pics below). I replaced the rear brake rotors & pads last weekend (with NOS Ford parts) and noticed the rearend housing looked OK but not perfect. It has some very minor surface type rust here and there (to be expected after 20 years) but still much better than most new Mustangs that lack any coating. More so, it just lacked that new black color. My first thought was to pull the rear and powdercoat the housing a nice black but then I asked myself does it really make sense given this car has never been apart?? It also doesn't help that I'm very particular and OCD with my rides. Thanks to all :beer:

93Cobraphoto_zps34b8445f.jpg

93Cobracloseupphoto_zps661d1793.jpg

DSC_0149-1_zps62bccbc2.jpg

buddha93

Established Member
I wouldn't call cleaninng up the housing, making it look nice much of a detraction of it's originality. There will always be wrapper cars out there that keep cars that are driven and enjoyed in check. I say do it.

WillyB93

Established Member
Common issues even with low mileage cars that sit in climate control areas, if it bother's you OCD that much paint it or powder coat it. If anything IMO gives it better appeal on the bottom side.

johnh

Established Member
I would get your factory wheels widened, narrow the rear and wrap it up with a mini tub.

Just kidding, keeping things fresh won't decrease its value.

TFStang

Established Member
What surface rust already!!!!.....that thing is trashed! Better just sell it to me and get another for yourself that doesn't have any surface rust on it ;)

BLK93GT

Established Member
I would call that detailing more than anything else.. I would probably blast it though, then get it powdercoated in a steel/cast finish so it looks correct.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
Ok its either an antique or nearly an antique now depending on the state, low mileage and as you say real close to original. I would keep it that way at this point. I figure from things I have read that the Fox Cobras are about to go up in value a bit more so than some others. Keep it as close to original as you can. Just enjoy it and just continue to do just the routine maintenance required. It will be a lot better on the budget as well and maybe because of that you may also afford to be able to do more events and such

The Snake

billsigf1_zps0d79b1a4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread