Thoughts on EHPS conversions?

Richter888

Established Member
I've been doing lots of research on the subject. Merely toying with the idea at this point when it comes to the mustang, but I'm definietly going to give it a go on my 84 300zx drift project only because it would free up some room for an engine swap I will do when I come back in October. Lets just say it will be a fun car.

Question is, could a conversion like this be done? Is it worth it?

Please note, the main reason I am contemplating this is for either doing a coyote motor swap, OR going to a turbo setup. If I went with a turbo setup, the idea was to make piping easier, and I want to keep my air/water intercooler setup(on that note, does anyone know of an intake that mounts on the factory lower intake while retaining the aftercooler?). If I performed a coyote swap on the otherhand, power steering problem solved. No messing with adaptor brackets. I can mount it almost wherever I want(within reason).

My car also does one really annoying thing. The factory power steering regulates pressure. When I slow down though or push in on the clutch while turning, the steering and brakes suddenly become stiff when the rpms suddenly drop. This is really annoying and something I think an electric pump can fix. This can provide a much more consistant feel in theory.

If so, with what pump and how would it be setup?

I thought that a 3rd gen mr2 pump might be able to handle it. Upon research, I found that the 3rd gen is also the best option because the pump, reservoir, motor, driver, and ECU are all integrated into the pump. The pump supplies ~2000psi and draws almost 50A under full load.

Now I'm sure this is more than enough to run our racks, but to run the hydroboost brakes on top of that is another question. I have not found any real specific information on the pump, nor on our racks. I ask that anyone that has this information please post notable specs. I'm just not sure if this pump has the volume to run both say if under heavy demand like at autocross or open track events.

One of the last considerations is providing the electricity needed. A factory 03-04 alternator(which is what I'm currently running) will probably not be sufficient between e-fans, intercooler pump, radio, etc... I'm sure there are some aftermarket solutions. Can the factory alternator be mounted anywhere else for that matter? Any aftermarket solutions?

Are there any other options for what I'm considering? What other accessories can I modify to make my life a little easier? I WILL NOT eliminate my A/C if I go turbo. The Florida heat is pretty bad sometimes and a black interior doesn't really help. I'll suck it up for the coyote motor, but if I can retain it, it needs to stay.

Let me know what you guys think. My goal when I get back in October was to perform either a coyote motor swap or go turbo with a built 4.6(I already have a set of new forged internals ready to go in). I'm always looking for something to do for my car. After this deployment, something is going to happen since I have only two small bills:burnout:.

**EDIT**
For anyone who doesn't know, I'm refering to electrically driven hydraulic pumps for power steering and brake assist.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would rather go with an electric rack and pinion and ditch the PB and pump altogether.

Richter888

Established Member
I would rather go with an electric rack and pinion and ditch the PB and pump altogether.

I would aggree. However, what about the brake assist? The reason ford went with a hydroboost setup was to save space, but is there enough room for a vaccuum booster? Even if there is, how consistant will the braking be?

Is there a solution to putting in electric steering? Getting rid of the pump altogether is one less item to leak.

ummm what is EHPS?

It's at the bottom of my post. Basically, its an electrically driven hydraulic pump used to power the steering and brakes. The mr2 is a great example of this.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would aggree. However, what about the brake assist? The reason ford went with a hydroboost setup was to save space, but is there enough room for a vaccuum booster? Even if there is, how consistant will the braking be?

Is there a solution to putting in electric steering? Getting rid of the pump altogether is one less item to leak.

It's at the bottom of my post. Basically, its an electrically driven hydraulic pump used to power the steering and brakes. The mr2 is a great example of this.

Vacuum booster?.............we don't need no stink'N vacuum booster :(

That's for ladies in high heels.

Men use manual brakes :mj:

Richter888

Established Member
Vacuum booster?.............we don't need no stink'N vacuum booster :(

That's for ladies in high heels.

Men use manual brakes :mj:

I've never personnaly driven a car with manual brakes. I didn't think it was a feasible option for a street driven car. I'm assuming your car has manual brakes? If so, do you dive it on the street and do you like it?

If yes, then the pump could easily drive the power steering alone. Or convert to manual steering, but these cars are very heavy.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I've never personnaly driven a car with manual brakes. I didn't think it was a feasible option for a street driven car. I'm assuming your car has manual brakes? If so, do you dive it on the street and do you like it?

If yes, then the pump could easily drive the power steering alone. Or convert to manual steering, but these cars are very heavy.

If manual brakes were a bad option no one would sell conversion kits and I have never heard anyone complain they didn't work. PB boosters are made to reduce pedal effort and that's all. If I can stop a motorcycle from 165 mph with a handbrake imagine the force you can generate with your leg braced-up against a seat. It's best to reinforce the firewall and pedal box to prevent flexing which will make the brakes feel mushy, size the MC to match the calipers and install a pedal with a high pressure pivot point. Manual brakes will have more of a progressive feel and easier to modulate than a fast acting PB set-up. Not saying they are better as most race cars use them and they do have advantages. The reason I got rid of mine was the mass and added complexity where I want to reduce both. The Hydroboost is the Leviathan of MC, weighs close to 15 lbs. and is a "band-Aid :nonono: If a vacuum booster could fit I would leave that in place.

Users who are viewing this thread