Thoughts on a problem

bighigg123

Established Member
I have a 96 Mustang vert. The problem I am having is the car will start fine when it is cold. When it warms up and you shut it off it will not turn over again till it cools back off. The gauges come on, the fuel pump primes and it does everything it should but turn over (everything works but the starter, no click or nothing). I have replaced the starter and solenoid, bypassed the clutch switch, and tried jumping it off and nothing. This one has got me stumped, HELP PLEASE!!!! :??:

bigwill306

Im Broke Bitch
Established Member
double check all your grounds! body grounds, motor grounds, look at them really good, and remember that any corrosion will cause problems.

i have seen where corrosion will run back up the wire also and look fine but be corroded inside. start there with all grounds. good luck

on a side note you may have a bad key switch, not sure, i'm not really that good with electronics.

bighigg123

Established Member
I have tried 2 new starter solenoid combos. I have checked all of the wires that have to do with the starting system and they all look good.

bigwill306

Im Broke Bitch
Established Member
Considering it only does it when hot its not going to be a ground. What parts did you use to replace those old ones oem?

when mine was doing it, it was a ground. and would only do it once the engine got hot. drive it around and run into the store, i'd have to sit for a few minutes and let it cool. then it would start right up, but the starter would drag alittle

4valvemach

Established Member
some idea's, first have the battery checked out if good then check the positive and negitive battery cables.when the car is hot put your hand on the negitive wire and have someone try to start it, if it gets hot then replace with with new cables.

SOHCit2me

Established Member
i have seen where corrosion will run back up the wire also and look fine but be corroded inside. start there with all grounds. good luck

Weird, I was talking to my dad about stuff like this and you basically quoted him.

Anywho, have you tried replacing the battery? You didn't mention that. Or swapping it with one that you know is good? You could have some f'ed up plate problems going on inside. The battery could be heating up like a mutha from being charged by the alternator which is making the internal resistance increase. You're getting the right voltage but somewhere something is causing you to not get the current you need. Seriously check out the battery though cause you could end up with thermal runaway and it will blow up.

Also, just because the insulation on the wire is intact, doesn't mean the conductor hasn't gone to hell. When a wire is crimped at the end, especially with heavier gauge, a space is sometimes created between the insulator and the conductor where moisture and air can oxidize it. Thats why it's best to shrink wrap like in this picture.

2233-heat-shrink-wrapped.jpg

Took me 15 minutes to find that picture

Users who are viewing this thread