Thoughts on 2012 5.0 vert?

97t-bird

Established Member
Well I am planning to go and order a 2012 5.0 next week and have been eyeing up a fully loaded vert in the candy metallic red color. I normally don't care what others think but several people I have spoke with have considered the convertible mustangs as chick cars. So anyone have an opinion on this? The car will be replacing my 97t-bird as my DD, and I will still have the L to play with. If I don't go vert it will be the glass roof. Anyone no of any issues regarding the 2011-2012 tops?

I don't plan on running the car or modifying it outside of exhaust and a nice stereo. So being less rigid or the handling not being quite what the coupes is doesn't bother me. I think the vert would be a nice car to cruise to and from work in everyday and have plenty of power for DDing and spirited driving (although am wanting the auto as I do travel in traffic). I am just worried about the hot hot summer and winter/snow as far as heating/cooling the interior.
Thanks

AmnDucky

Established Member
If you're not going to race it, and you want a vert, then get one. My car is a coupe, because I did want the extra stiffness. But when I drive my moms XLR, the top is down and I love it. I don't have any experience with current verts, so I don't know about longevity or issues. But I will say that I have no seen one complaint on the 7 mustang forums I am on.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Most modern verts insulate pretty well. With that said, if it's a major concern, a coupe will always be better. In Maryland I'm assuming the winters especially may get pretty crazy.

As far as verts being chick cars, well that's debatable. If you want the vert, get it. Don't settle on something because of what others say.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I had a Terminator Vert. and now have a GT 500 Vert. Enjoy cruising with the top down and having the top down last Saturday didn't seem to effect the Dyno numbers at RET. If you want a Vert, get one, remember it also has Heat and AC....

AmnDucky

Established Member
I had a Terminator Vert. and now have a GT 500 Vert. Enjoy cruising with the top down and having the top down last Saturday didn't seem to effect the Dyno numbers at RET. If you want a Vert, get one, remember it also has Heat and AC....

Why would being a vert effect dyno numbers?

grnenvy

Established Member
Don't listen to what people say! My vert is badass and I have beaten a ton of new coupes a couple 03 cobras and 2 Z06's so far. Oh and my old 1990 Emerald green convertable just set the world record in the Renegade class last year fastest ET yet! If you want to read about it check out Feb of Race pages.
I would buy an Automatic if I was U.

kevinp

Established Member
I had a 2010 GT500 vert and I was pretty impressed how quiet it was inside. I had a 2007 GT vert and it was pretty quiet as well.

Both of them had quite a bit of cowl shake over rough roads though, the 2010 I had was a later build and had the later model chassis stiffening mods. I drove a 2011 non-svtpp GT500 vert on the same roads and you could still notice it. Its not a deal breaker but unlike a C5 Corvette that was designed as a roadster these lose quite a bit of structure with no roof so even with some extra metal underneath they just arent as solid as a coupe. Problem with racing them is you need a roll bar to even run the car will run stock at a dragstrip if your track enforces NHRA rules.

I love convertibles, usually have at least one laying around, and the new mustangs are decent ones, Top goes up and down easy and you hardly know its a vert driving down the highway, good visibility with the top up as well. My main beef with them is the ugly rear end really stands out on the verts with the top down lol.

As far as being a chick car a lot of people consider and mustang a chick car, who cares what other people think, as long as its not a V6 vert in Mary Kay pink I think your masculinity will stay intact.

bustednuts

Established Member
Although I don't see it that way - I have heard many people refer to ragtop owners if their males saying: "he must be gay", (not that there's anything wrong with that) and that: "ragtops are typically reserved for females".

<please make note of the beginning>

Just to reiterate - I personally don't see it that way. However, I did drive a ragtop 2011 at the dealer before ordering my 2012 coupe, just didn't like them and the extra money $$$ thousands, in my opinion isn't worth it.

If I want to ride in the wind I'll jump on my Road Glide ...:banana:

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
Here is a photo of my "gay" chick car.:bowdown:

2010-09-11111048.jpg

20zx6r07

Established Member
I say go for it! I have a 2011 gt vert. the same color combo as the gt500 above and I love it. Mine is an auto and I don't see how you could ever outshift it. First shifts fairly quick and second feels like being shot out of a cannon.

bustednuts

Established Member
The fun of driving is shifting ... Auto is just eh.............................

GoTime

BooWho?
Established Member
As far as verts being chick cars, well that's debatable. If you want the vert, get it. Don't settle on something because of what others say.

This.:beer:

Just before we pulled the trigger on our 11 GT we were fortunate enough to test an 11 vert out for about 2 weeks, a red automatic, and although we personally prefer the 6 speed coupe it was a blast to drive and ultimately convinced us on buying our black coupe. These cars are amazing. Convertible, coupe, automatic or 6 speed. Go for the one YOU want.

gt-l-a.jpg

Photo Gallery...........................Website............................Modifications
gotimesig.jpg

Have a great day eh !______________________________________Dave

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I've been contemplating getting back into a mustang vert as well and the new 5.0 would be a great way to do it. I miss having a vert in the worst way.

Cracks me up when I tell girls I had a convertible mustang and they tell me it's a girls car. Don't know many chicks driving a supercharged mustang with a louder than hell exhaust and stiff, low suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread